PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 42" tv install problems

MrD767
October 2nd, 2009, 01:02 AM
Hello everyone!

I am very very new here. I have minimal experience using live cd versions on my work computer and home setup and recently decided to go all in and do a full install on my new media PC setup for my living room. My problem is the screen resolution. I have a 42” 1080p LCD tv and I can’t get the screen to fit into it. I am losing around ¾ of an inch all around. Even when I lower the res in display settings the screen is still too big for the TV. It is also detecting my tv as a 32" in the display settings which could be a hint at the problem I guess. I am using a Radeon card with HDMI out directly to the TV with no adapters of any sort. I thought initially that it would be a problem with my TV’s settings so I went in and fiddled around with the zoom,cinema,wide, and normal settings in the menu but nothing is helping. Is there something I am doing wrong or am I just out of luck for using Ubuntu at all?

Many thanks for any help! :)

Richard

shaunsmith_99
October 2nd, 2009, 03:27 AM
Alright Richard. This is a Problem I WISH I had. Let me follow this thread and pretend that this was my multimedia center I was setting up....:P

ninjapirate89
October 2nd, 2009, 03:35 AM
Alright Richard. This is a Problem I WISH I had. Let me follow this thread and pretend that this was my multimedia center I was setting up....:P

:lolflag: Seconded.

tubasoldier
October 2nd, 2009, 03:52 AM
I have the same issue with mine. I have a 720p resolution on mine. It would display a 1366x768 except it would cut off the 1366 as if it were 1024. Frustrating.
So I had to put together and all out xorg.conf file specifically for my television. I included modelines for 720p. It will now display 1280x720 completely in the screen but I can not go beyond that or it gets cut off.