PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Converting server to desktop issues

chronomitch
October 1st, 2009, 11:56 PM
Right now I am running the server edition of Ubuntu 9.04 on a headless system. It is being used solely as a file server (running samba). I usually do configuration either by ssh or webmin.

I am slowly trying to get the machine in a configuration where it can run Skype while still being headless. As Skype and a few other config tools I need require X11, I installed the gnome package. With the help of Cygwin X, I was able to log into the machine and start a gnome session. However, there is still no audio server, such as Pulse Audio.

I am considering installing the ubuntu-desktop package which, I am told, will turn the server into a regular desktop. Will this automatically configure a sound server and do other things? Will it leave my previous configurations (raided drives, Samba, webmin, etc) intact? Am I asking for trouble by "upgrading" in this manner, or should I do a clean desktop install?

Remember, I still want to keep this machine in a headless configuration. Any time I need to do configuration via a graphical tool, I will just SSH into the box and start a gnome session.

Thanks.

lemming465
October 3rd, 2009, 07:34 PM
I don't see why installing the ubuntu-desktop package would cause any problems for an existing server install. I routinely add kubuntu-desktop on top of an ubuntu desktop install, and that works fine too.