PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Toshiba 460CDX install help please

morelydotes
October 1st, 2009, 11:46 PM
I'm attempting to install Xubuntu 9.04 alternate on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 460CDX. I've gotten around the boot issue (system boots from the internal removable CD drive, then can't find the CD) by using a PCMCIA-connected CD after it errors out.

However, when I get to "detect disks" it can't see the hard drive, either. Gnome PartEd finds it OK, and Win95/98 can install just fine (but I'd rather use it for a paperweight than run Windows on it).

Can anyone identify what driver I need to be able to recognize the hard drive on this machine?

Mark Phelps
October 4th, 2009, 10:29 PM
A 256K machine with an Intel 166MHZ chip -- is that your config?

If so, forget running ANY derivative of Ubuntu on it. 256K is borderline for memory, but it that really is your processor, it will be so slow as to be useless.

You would do better going to distrowatch.com and looking into DSL and Puppy Linux as alternative lightweight distros.

morelydotes
October 15th, 2009, 04:28 PM
A 256K machine with an Intel 166MHZ chip -- is that your config?

If so, forget running ANY derivative of Ubuntu on it. 256K is borderline for memory, but it that really is your processor, it will be so slow as to be useless.

You would do better going to distrowatch.com and looking into DSL and Puppy Linux as alternative lightweight distros.
That's the config, and I have DSL and Puppy, but the problem is getting the OS installed, not the performance afterward. IT seems logical to me that if I am able to install Ubuntu, any other distro should work the same (or a similar) way.