PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu 9.04 ready for use?

uberdonkey5
October 1st, 2009, 08:47 PM
ok... I hate changing systems... I currently have 8.04 and have had it since it came out... also I will prob wipe my computer to install 9.04.

I intend to use ext4. Any problems with using ext4 as dual boot with windows (can I still access windows files?)

Also, I heard there can be sound problems, are these solved?

Any other problems that seem to be common or particular to 9.04 (that wasn't present in 8.04).

Thanks

P.S. hope this is ok in cafe area.. just wanted some general feedback/rants

NormanFLinux
October 1st, 2009, 09:00 PM
No. But you can update to the 9.10 beta and then wait for the official release later this month.

Tibuda
October 1st, 2009, 09:07 PM
You better wait for 9.10 in the end of this month.

The filesystem you are using for Linux has nothign to do with how Linux read Windows filesystems. It will still work for you.

cdekter
October 2nd, 2009, 01:45 AM
I would avoid 9.04 if you have any kind of Intel graphics - it's way more trouble than it's worth. The differences between 8.10 and 9.04 simply do not make it worthwhile.

t0p
October 2nd, 2009, 02:33 AM
I would avoid 9.04 if you have any kind of Intel graphics - it's way more trouble than it's worth. The differences between 8.10 and 9.04 simply do not make it worthwhile.

But 9.04 boots so fast! Yeah, I know 8.10 ain't no slouch in the booting stakes, but 9.04 is something else. And it is a world away from 8.04!

Actually though, OP would probably be better off waiting a little longer to get 9.10. Or even 10.04. I think 10.04 is the next LTS.

Still, I like 9.04. I'll probably try 9.10, but I'll keep my 9.04 CD handy, just in case.

lswb
October 2nd, 2009, 03:10 AM
Here are some pluses and minuses I've experienced with 9.04 vs 8.04

+ Network Manager improved

+ Pulse Audio is much improved over 8.04 but still a few rough spots.

+ PCMCIA hard disk started working again that would not work in 8.04 or 8.10

- Graphics: As already pointed out, with stock install intel graphics is the pits for video playback. There are some fixes in the forums but they can get complicated.

- crashes more frequently, mostly related to graphics problem above.

+ Faster boot, nice for a laptop and to deal with the more frequent crashing - see above.

- Digital Camera auto mounting is broken

Tibuda
October 2nd, 2009, 12:20 PM
- Digital Camera auto mounting is broken

I think this depends on your camera. My Samsung works fine.

uberdonkey5
October 2nd, 2009, 04:07 PM
ah.. this is frustrating. I think I will stick with 8.04. The graphics issue is a pretty major one for me and its terrible that 9.04 was released with this problem. I am pretty mobile in my life and need my computer to watch films/TV.

Well.. hardy has been good to me and the few bugs it has I know how to sort.. Maybe if graphics prob solved in 9.10 I will go for that instead. Thanks for the feedback!

SunnyRabbiera
October 2nd, 2009, 04:26 PM
I too say hold out for Karmic

sydbat
October 2nd, 2009, 04:57 PM
Don't forget the graphics cards that ATI/AMD decided to stop supporting. I need to buy a new card for my main box (nVidea this time) before I can move to Jaunty and beyond.

Otherwise, I have had little problems with 9.04 installing it on others boxes/laptops.

HappyFeet
October 2nd, 2009, 06:39 PM
I've been using 9.04 since it was alpha6 with no problems. But then again I use Nvidia, and always will.

lswb
October 3rd, 2009, 02:28 AM
I think this depends on your camera. My Samsung works fine.

Some cameras may work, especially those recognized as simple mass storage devices, however a large number of cameras that "just worked" with earlier releases (going back to at lease 6.06) have stopped working in 9.04 (or possibly in 8.10)