PDA

View Full Version : CSS3 @font-face Works in Opera 10, Not Firefox 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, or Swiftfox?

moore.bryan
October 1st, 2009, 08:36 PM
Perhaps a little help, folks... I've declared an @font-face on the website for my class (http://www.bmoore.net/) and everything's showing-up fine in Opera 10, but no love in the other browsers. Huh? What gives?

Tibuda
October 1st, 2009, 08:39 PM
Firefox supports it, but it is different from Opera. IE is even worse, as it uses a different file format.

This blog post explains some workarounds to get it working cross-broswer: http://randsco.com/index.php/2009/07/04/p680

EDIT: ImpactLabelReversed is the font you are embedding? I think it is working here in FF3.5, as your header got a different font.

moore.bryan
October 1st, 2009, 08:45 PM
Firefox supports it, but it is different from Opera. IE is even worse, as it uses a different file format.
Yeah, this I know. What I'm saying is Opera works, but FF doesn't.

This blog post explains some workarounds to get it working cross-broswer: http://randsco.com/index.php/2009/07/04/p680

Read this over and over and did everything it suggested; am I missing something?

EDIT: ImpactLabelReversed is the font you are embedding? I think it is working here in FF3.5, as your header got a different font.
Strange... not working here. I know this is a long shot, but could the proxy I'm currently behind cause the "remote" font not to be loaded?

EDIT:
Alright... now I'm really confused; it's working on everything now! I just spent about an hour trying to get it to work and nothing... now, Opera 10, Swiftfox 3.5.3, Shiretoko, and Minefield all display it properly. WTF?

Tibuda
October 1st, 2009, 08:49 PM
Strange... not working here. I know this is a long shot, but could the proxy I'm currently behind cause the "remote" font not to be loaded?

Maybe, if this is the case, try testing in a local server. But I don't think this is the case if it is working with Opera.

Tibuda
October 2nd, 2009, 12:38 PM
EDIT:
Alright... now I'm really confused; it's working on everything now! I just spent about an hour trying to get it to work and nothing... now, Opera 10, Swiftfox 3.5.3, Shiretoko, and Minefield all display it properly. WTF?

Perhaps *fox got your CSS cached before you added the @font-face.

DragonFlyEye
December 31st, 2010, 02:32 PM

Short answer is yes, caching on the server side can definitely cause wonkiness with fonts. My company has been playing around with a custom printing application that allows users to apply @font-face derived fonts to their finished products. When we did this, we discovered that caching on the server affected whether or not the file was downloaded. This was an IIS system, but it's reasonable to assume that Apache might have similar complications.

I'd say turn off all server-side caching directives and see if that changes anything.