PDA

View Full Version : number of cores used by a user

flylehe
October 1st, 2009, 07:18 PM
Hi,

I am just wondering how I can find out in bash how many cpu cores a user is now using on a linux server (KUbuntu)?

I am submitting a fair amount of background jobs to the server, so I like to write a bash script to check before I submit a job if the running jobs(processes) submit by me are too many, because I have to let other users have enough cores to use for their jobs. So I like to know what bash command(s) can tell me how many cores my jobs are using now.

Thanks and regards!

MadCow108
October 1st, 2009, 07:27 PM
a quick solution would be to use ps U username to get the processes of a user (and count them with wc -l)
this should be a good estimate of the cores used if the user runs only single threaded programs
you can also get the cpu load with ps for a better estimate

flylehe
October 1st, 2009, 07:43 PM
Thank you! But some jobs are multi-threading.

Also some processes, like ssh connection to the server and screen from where the jobs are submitted, are also listed by "ps U username" but not shown as keeping using some core(s) in top, which perhaps can be not counted into the jobs submitted by the user?

flylehe
October 1st, 2009, 07:51 PM
By the way, can someone care to share scripts that check the CPU and memory and dynamically submit jobs based on their usage? It also check the number of currently running jobs submit by myself?
Thanks!

hessiess
October 1st, 2009, 07:58 PM
I doubt that you could find this without getting into the Kernel, Linux automatically distributes running processes across all the available cores/CPU's. ps -u won't work as this only lists running processes. For example I have 10 prosesses running currently on a quad core machine.