PDA

View Full Version : Any Megadeth fans?

davo11
October 1st, 2009, 06:33 PM
Any Megadeth fans on here? If so what's your favourite album. If not in the poll post it.
Also what's everyone's thoughts on Endgame. I love it - my second favourite album by them.

pwnst*r
October 1st, 2009, 06:37 PM
Rust by far.. the implementation of Marty Friedman was perfect timing.

RiceMonster
October 1st, 2009, 06:39 PM
Missing a number of albums there.
So Far So Good... So What?
Killing is My Business... and Business is Good!
United Abominations
The System Has Failed
The World Needs a Hero
Cryptic Writings

I think there's more.

Anyway, Rust in Peace is by far my favorite. Marty was absolutely top notch on that album. He's one of my favorite guitarists. However, I voted for all options because you made it multiselect.

davo11
October 1st, 2009, 06:41 PM
I know I missed a few out but those were the most popular 5. I know Rust is the most popular but for some reason I just prefer Countdown.
And also do you prefer Chris Broderick (the new dude from Endgame) or Marty Friedman. If you don't know listen to dialectic chaos to see Broderick work his magic.

pwnst*r
October 1st, 2009, 06:56 PM
And also Chris Broderick (the new dude from Endgame)/Marty Friedman.

what's that supposed to mean.

davo11
October 1st, 2009, 07:06 PM
Sorry mate.
I meant do you prefer Chris Broderick or Marty Friedman as a guitarist.

pwnst*r
October 1st, 2009, 07:17 PM
Sorry mate.
I meant do you prefer Chris Broderick or Marty Friedman as a guitarist.

Marty, he's a bit more unique. i've enjoyed him since Cacophony.

castrojo
October 1st, 2009, 07:26 PM
I think Endgame is ok. "Head crusher" seems to stand out and I like "This is How the Story Ends"

They sound good and they thrash great, but the songs just don't seem to jump out at me as something rememberable like with Rust In Peace. Feels like they're just going through the motions. :-/

davo11
October 1st, 2009, 07:28 PM
I know what you mean. I prefer their older stuff although Endgame is a bit of a return, after the other newer albums which weren't brilliant to say the least.

castrojo
October 1st, 2009, 07:45 PM
Yes, this is light years ahead of the System Has Failed, Risk, and Youthanasia.

SuperSonic4
October 1st, 2009, 07:51 PM
Rust in Peace is my favourite.

Endgame would be a far better album if Mustaine stopped singing political lyrics and using the spoken word

davo11
October 1st, 2009, 07:56 PM
nah i like the spoken parts they sound good although yeah it's very political

BrokenKingpin
October 1st, 2009, 09:17 PM
I voted for them all because they all kick ***. I just picked up Endgame a few days ago, a nice return to form.

RATM_Owns
October 1st, 2009, 09:22 PM
I voted for all except Youthanasia. Haven't listened to it much yet.

And my guitar is a Dave Mustaine Dean VMNTX. :P

SuperSonic4
October 1st, 2009, 09:23 PM
I have to admit they are an excellent live band. Sleepwalker, Hangar 18 and Holy Wars are the best live - especially at the front

venator260
October 2nd, 2009, 05:59 AM
I'm another Megadeth fan.

Rust in Peace is my favorite by far, however, Endgame is better than I had expected. I don't listen to Megadeth too much as of late. However, I have been spinning Endgame a bit for the past 2 weeks, I saw them live last year (amazing show), and do credit Megadeth for getting me deeper into Metal. (Metallica got me there, Megadeth took me further).

I like the political lyrics, but it may be because Dave and I tend to have some similar views on things, at least from what I can tell from the lyrics that I have thought about. And if it's what gets him in a creative mood, then I hope he keeps up on current events.

HappyFeet
October 2nd, 2009, 06:28 AM
Youthanasia is my fav album from them.

koshatnik
October 2nd, 2009, 12:41 PM
I saw them live at Donnington in 1987 or 1988 something like that. It was awhile ago. They were crap. Steve Jones from the sex pistols came on and did anarchy in the uk, but not even the great man could save that from suckiness.

"Hey Dave, its not our fault you got kicked out of Metallica, who then went onto to make trillions of dollars. so quit inflicting your band on us."

Wake Up Dead was a good song though. I once heard a Mariachi band cover it. It was great.

Tristam Green
October 2nd, 2009, 12:57 PM
My body aches from mistakes, betrayed by lust.
We lied to each other so much, that in nothing we trust.

Love me some Megadeth. Being canned from Metallica was the best thing to ever happen to Dave Mustaine.

alienclone
October 2nd, 2009, 01:12 PM

Endgame would be a far better album if Mustaine stopped singing political lyrics and using the spoken word

MOST of Dave's lyrics have ALWAYS been political, most ppl just dont realize it.

Sand & Mercury
October 2nd, 2009, 01:20 PM
Youthanasia is by far their fave album these days. I seem to have gotten over the whole 'thrash' thing. Youth is dark, heartfelt and raw in so many ways the other albums are not.

Seeing 'em in 9 days too, when they come to Adelaide. Can't wait, and despite being a little underwhelmed by their recent output, I'll always be a Megadeth fan. Even though Dave is, well... kind of a prick.

RiceMonster
October 2nd, 2009, 01:21 PM
I saw them live at Donnington in 1987 or 1988 something like that. It was awhile ago. They were crap. Steve Jones from the sex pistols came on and did anarchy in the uk, but not even the great man could save that from suckiness.

"Hey Dave, its not our fault you got kicked out of Metallica, who then went onto to make trillions of dollars. so quit inflicting your band on us."

Wake Up Dead was a good song though. I once heard a Mariachi band cover it. It was great.

I saw them live twice and they were great both times. However, that was in, 2004 and 2005.

infestor
October 2nd, 2009, 02:34 PM
i was a die hard fan before mustaine got all "christian" and republican. i guess this was after the album "risk" and on the event that his arm/hand recovered "miraculously".
yes still i like megadeth and listen to them...but their (or should i say mustaine's) glorious days are definitely over...and i also confess that i went to a gig for "The System Has Failed" album...regardless his age and his belly :) they put up a great performance.

northwestuntu
October 2nd, 2009, 04:29 PM

i totally agree on that. too much talking on the newer albums. although dave has always been very political, but it's becoming a little too much.

all that said i am a HUGE MEGADETH FAN!!

i like end game, but it doesn't even touch there earlier work. they need to bring back marty friedman and Jr. there's not a lot of chemistry between the new guys you can tell.

friedman was a perfect lead in that band. they have been downhill since he left :(

LowSky
October 2nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
Where is the poll option to say I hate this band?

NightwishFan
October 2nd, 2009, 04:32 PM
Another one here. I do not listen to them often anymore, I shall have to hunt down my CDs.

RiceMonster
October 2nd, 2009, 04:34 PM
Where is the poll option to say I hate this band?

It exists; it's called "don't vote".

northwestuntu
October 2nd, 2009, 04:38 PM
it exists; it's called "don't vote".

:p

drinkleadsoup
October 2nd, 2009, 04:47 PM
Not a fan, but I will name my first born child Megadeath.

northwestuntu
October 2nd, 2009, 04:48 PM
Not a fan, but I will name my first born child Megadeath.

that's a good solid name

:guitar:

venator260
October 2nd, 2009, 05:12 PM
i like end game, but it doesn't even touch there earlier work. they need to bring back marty friedman and Jr. there's not a lot of chemistry between the new guys you can tell.

friedman was a perfect lead in that band. they have been downhill since he left :(

Dave tried. Marty has his own stuff going on and didn't want to leave Japan. Jr has tried to sue Mustaine in the past, so that obviously didn't work either.

I'm not too into the band politics. I do know that Chris Broderick couldn't pull off some of the solos in Hangar 18. Was still an amazing song to see live, but would have been better if Marty was playing.

And his views aren't exactly Republican. He's very much against the Patriot Act, and seems not to tow the Republican line about the war in Iraq, although I do believe that he is in agreement with the general concept.

But, as I said before, I have a soft spot for Megadeth, having listened to them so much in high school.

pwnst*r
October 2nd, 2009, 05:48 PM
i agree - marty is missed. if you've never heard his solo stuff or his work with Jason Becker in Cacophony, do yourself a favor and get some (strictly speaking technical guitar, not good song writing)

SomeGuyDude
October 2nd, 2009, 05:53 PM
Megadeth > Metallica

That is all.

Lemmy's Wart
October 2nd, 2009, 07:05 PM
Although the musicianship was superb on Rust In Peace..., it just never had the same effect on me as either Peace Sells... or Countdown To Extinction.

Peace Sells... holds a special place in my heart for other reasons. I guess I'm biased.

aaaantoine
October 2nd, 2009, 07:58 PM
The only albums I have are Countdown to Extinction and Cryptic Writings.

I like Megadeth, but not enough to collect albums (the two albums above, I inherited as they were duplicates in my brother's collection).

I did enjoy them when I saw them at Gigantour in 2005.

pwnst*r
October 2nd, 2009, 08:21 PM
Megadeth > Metallica

That is all.

old, current, or both?

drawkcab
October 2nd, 2009, 09:17 PM
Ok, Rust in Peace is the best. Hate Countdown and everything after.

The first four metallica albums are better than anything that megadeth has put out. But I hated that black album and everything after.

Basically I lost interest in both these bands around 1992. Every time I listen to what they have done since, I cringe.

Btw, now that I think of it, a lot of really great bands started to suck around 1991/92.

northwestuntu
October 3rd, 2009, 05:54 AM
Ok, Rust in Peace is the best. Hate Countdown and everything after.

The first four metallica albums are better than anything that megadeth has put out. But I hated that black album and everything after.

Basically I lost interest in both these bands around 1992. Every time I listen to what they have done since, I cringe.

Btw, now that I think of it, a lot of really great bands started to suck around 1991/92.

hate countdown? i know a lot of people like the old school metal, but you have to change with the times. i like some of the new metallica stuff like load and reload. not so much there last couple albums.

http://www.megadeth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389098

matthew.ball
October 3rd, 2009, 06:38 AM
I like earlier thrash, Killing is my Business... And Business is good and Kill 'em All are probably my two favourite albums of all-time.