PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problems with latest image?

MonsterDuc
October 1st, 2009, 05:56 PM
Hi,
Installing 9.04 on x86 and curious to your thoughts.

I downloaded the x86 iso. Used md5 to verify (looked fine). Burned to disk using wodim. When I booted off the disk I got the main menu, but when I selected Install Ubuntu I am getting a bunch of squashfs messages. If I selected the "check disk" option it would fail the check and complain there was one bad file (no more info).

I then tried burning again, this time from my Vista box, with verify upon completion, and it fails on the verification (I am using slowest write speed possible). I have tried this on 3 different disks, and on two different machines now...could it be something wrong with the iso image?

I've also tried booting off other machines (i have a few) and it fails there as well so I don't think it is hardware related.

Any other options to get it installed, or how to "burn correctly" ?

Thoughts appreciated!

Lars Noodén
October 1st, 2009, 08:16 PM
This happens to me a lot with CD-RW, they should in theory last thousands of burns. In practice it is somewhere between 6 - 12. They get scratched through very careless or wreckless handling when I loan them out. When I use them myself, old drives often get loose pieces and scratch on insert or eject.

So I recommend making sure the CD is not dirty or scratched. If it is, try a different one or (following the safe instructions) clean or polish the disc.

Maybe try burning at a lower speed.

MonsterDuc
October 2nd, 2009, 08:25 AM
Hi, and thanks for the reply.

With regards to the burning I don't think it was that because:
1) I ended up burning with 3 different drives, on two different disk types
2) The image checked out fine with md5sum
3) I was getting the same problem on all of the above

BUT :)

I downloaded the alternate image and it all magically worked (using the same drive and disks to burn with:)

Wohoo!

Now I have to create a new post for my nntp/nntps problem...