PDA

View Full Version : Basic C issue with EOF

Tdraket
October 1st, 2009, 05:39 PM
I just started with C using The C Programming Language(2nd ed) by K&R. Anyway, I have the program

#include <stdio.h>

main()
{
long nc;

nc = 0;
while (getchar() != EOF)
++nc;
printf("%ld\n", nc);
}

It's directly from the book, but when I compile it with gcc and run it it gets stuck in an endless loop of letting me enter characters. It never even gets to the printf statement. I understand that EOF is basically equal to -1. Not sure how to get it to terminate the loop/get getchar() to return a statement that is equal to EOF so it will terminate. Just trying to get it to display the way the book intends.

chrisjsmith
October 1st, 2009, 05:58 PM
Your assumption is wrong - it's not stuck in a loop. It simply depends how you run it:

The following will appear to get stuck:

./a.out file.txt

Actually it's ignoring the file.txt and is waiting for keyboard input (from stdin stream). To issue an EOF manually, do Ctrl+D

Try running it as:

./a.out < file.txt

That should work. It pipes the contents of the file into the stdin stream :)

MadCow108
October 1st, 2009, 06:02 PM
your code waits for getchar to return an EOF (end of file).
until this happens it will continue
so either pipe in a file (which will issue an EOF when getchar reaches the end) or type ctrl D into the prompt of the terminal which is equivalent to EOF

Tdraket
October 1st, 2009, 06:13 PM
Thank you very much. :) I've got it working now.

nvteighen
October 1st, 2009, 08:40 PM
K&R C is an outdated version of C; nowadays it has a historical value only senseful to people that already have learned modern C. Look at http://crasseux.com/books/ctutorial/ for a great C tutorial.

For instance, your code in ANSI C would look like this:

#include <stdio.h>

int main(void)
{
long nc = 0;

while (getchar() != EOF)
++nc;

printf("%ld\n", nc);

return 0;
}

wmcbrine
October 2nd, 2009, 06:34 AM
K&R C is an outdated version of CYes, but the K&R book isn't outdated at all. It was updated to ANSI C in the second edition.

Arndt
October 2nd, 2009, 08:59 AM
Your assumption is wrong - it's not stuck in a loop. It simply depends how you run it:

The following will appear to get stuck:

./a.out file.txt

Actually it's ignoring the file.txt and is waiting for keyboard input (from stdin stream). To issue an EOF manually, do Ctrl+D

Try running it as:

./a.out < file.txt

That should work. It pipes the contents of the file into the stdin stream :)

EOF is usually issued by Ctrl-D, but it can be changed. To see the terminal settings (and to change them), use the program 'stty':

$ stty -a
speed 38400 baud; rows 36; columns 80; line = 0;
intr = ^C; quit = ^\; erase = ^?; kill = ^U; eof = ^D; eol = M-^?; eol2 = M-^?;
swtch = M-^?; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W;
lnext = ^V; flush = ^O; min = 1; time = 0;
-parenb -parodd cs8 hupcl -cstopb cread -clocal -crtscts
-ignbrk brkint -ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip -inlcr -igncr icrnl ixon -ixoff
-iuclc ixany imaxbel iutf8
opost -olcuc -ocrnl onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0
isig icanon iexten echo echoe echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop -echoprt
echoctl echoke

There it says eof = ^D.

A_Fiachra
October 2nd, 2009, 12:19 PM
Learning C from K&R is like learning Perl from manpages (ok --- maybe that is an exaggeration).

K&R is, for me, more of a reference, like Stroustrup's book is for C++.

Depending on your programming experience and knowledge of systems, there are gentler tutorials out there.

I like C Primer Plus as a teaching/tutorial book.

nvteighen
October 2nd, 2009, 01:35 PM
Yes, but the K&R book isn't outdated at all. It was updated to ANSI C in the second edition.

Ok, but the OP is writing K&R C, or am I wrong?

Bachstelze
October 2nd, 2009, 01:48 PM
Ok, but the OP is writing K&R C, or am I wrong?

This code is perfectly valid ANSI C. I would agree that it's not best practice, but it's valid.

(The code looks like this in the second edition of the book, btw, apart from the indentation)

chrisjsmith
October 2nd, 2009, 02:17 PM
Either K&R book is fine for learning C.

The 2nd edition will only gain you more respect as a programmer, not get the job done any better.

magistar
April 17th, 2010, 09:59 PM
yeah i have the same problem and nothing happens when i hit the ctrl+d. Is there any other way you can issue an EOF?

MadCow108
April 17th, 2010, 10:16 PM
maybe its bound to a different key on your terminal
type
stty -a
and look under eof

if it does not work you probably have a error in your code in which case we would need a working example code snippet.

pbrane
April 18th, 2010, 12:57 AM
yeah i have the same problem and nothing happens when i hit the ctrl+d. Is there any other way you can issue an EOF?

You may have to hit the ENTER key after you finish typing. Then type CTRL+D.