PDA

View Full Version : Game-engines that can target (or run on) Linux?

ucoder
October 1st, 2009, 04:59 PM
Hi!

I'm not sure if this is really the correct forum, but I'll ask anyway :)

Are there any game-engines around that can target linux? Or better yet, run on linux and can target it?

I use Unity3D on windows, but that can't even target linux currently, although quite a lot of other platforms are supported. I've also been looking at Torque3D, but I guess the same applies to it.

hessiess
October 1st, 2009, 05:50 PM
Irrlicht is pretty good, Ogre and crystal space are two more.

ucoder
October 1st, 2009, 06:08 PM
Hey, thanks!

Do you have experience in using these? I mean, which one is considered the most advanced or "active" currently?
I have no experience in any of these, just Unity3d currently.

And what about things like physics engines? COLLADA support? (this Irrlicht mentions to support it) Any differences there?

Thanks again!

hessiess
October 1st, 2009, 06:50 PM
Hey, thanks!

Do you have experience in using these? I mean, which one is considered the most advanced or "active" currently?
I have no experience in any of these, just Unity3d currently.

And what about things like physics engines? COLLADA support? (this Irrlicht mentions to support it) Any differences there?

Thanks again!

Irrlicht is the only one I have used and is very easy to use (I was using Irrlicht *before* I learnt the details of C++:) ) and its active on the development side too. Physics engines are just external programs which can be linked into and used with a graphics engine, there are a number of tutorials for integrating irrlicht with different physics engines.

Regarding collada, support, can't say because I haven't used it.

ucoder
October 1st, 2009, 07:37 PM
Alright, thanks again!

I will definitely check out Irrlicht - judging what's on their web site, it seems pretty cool :)

I guess ideally you could make your games independent of the Physics engine using whatever is available on the target platform. There's an abstraction layer for them, but I'm no expert in this stuff: http://www.adrianboeing.com/pal/

COLLADA (a file format) is pretty much necessity for me because I model in XSI, which is usually not natively supported by "consumer" game-engines.

hessiess
October 1st, 2009, 07:48 PM
Alright, thanks again!

I will definitely check out Irrlicht - judging what's on their web site, it seems pretty cool :)

I guess ideally you could make your games independent of the Physics engine using whatever is available on the target platform. There's an abstraction layer for them, but I'm no expert in this stuff: http://www.adrianboeing.com/pal/

COLLADA (a file format) is pretty much necessity for me because I model in XSI, which is usually not natively supported by "consumer" game-engines.

Regarding physics engines, both ODE and Bullet(Used in Blender) run on basically everything, you would only have a problem if you were using PhysX or any other platform dependent lib.

grayrainbow
October 1st, 2009, 08:17 PM
Depending on how soon you want to work on your game I'll suggest to wait a while with physics, OpenCL is expected to be implemented(in real form) on most platforms, but after all you can just use it for AI :)

ucoder
October 1st, 2009, 08:43 PM
Well, basically I want to start right away. Or rather, I want to migrate some of my ideas for Unity3D in the Windows/Mac world, to "linux-enabled" tools, targetting linux platform.

I'm also very interested to see if I can get something working on Maemo using these tools. After all, it's a linux as well, although as a mobile platform it "only" has OpenGL ES for 3d graphics, but that shouldn't be incompatible with full OpenGL, afaik.

Right now, it's not really important for me which physics engine I can use, but of course, the more advanced the better :)

Got to check out OpenCL also - I'm not really familiar with that either.