PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Add/Remove applications problem

Nilafhiosagam
October 1st, 2009, 04:31 PM
Hi,

I'm new to Ubuntu and have heard good things so I decided to try it out on my 2nd computer. All was going pretty well until about an hour ago. I installed a couple of programs via the Add/Remove applications program but it now gives me an error message when I attempt to install something. For example when I try to install Amarok I recieve the following message:

"E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report."

What exactly does this mean and how can I get around it?

Thanks

Edit: And it seems I posted this in the wrong forum. Maybe a Mod could move it for me?

mharrison
October 1st, 2009, 04:33 PM
Hi,

I'm new to Ubuntu and have heard good things so I decided to try it out on my 2nd computer. All was going pretty well until about an hour ago. I installed a couple of programs via the Add/Remove applications program but it now gives me an error message when I attempt to install something. For example when I try to install Amarok I recieve the following message:

"E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report."

What exactly does this mean and how can I get around it?

Thanks

Not an expert or high level novice, but if it is telling you to run something to correct a problem, I would suggest running the command it is telling you to run and see if that resolves your problem.

wojox
October 1st, 2009, 04:34 PM
Open the terminal and run:

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Nilafhiosagam
October 1st, 2009, 04:49 PM
Ah thanks.

Like I said I'm new to Ubuntu. I had no idea it was that simple!

satishbhawra42
October 1st, 2009, 05:20 PM
Nice information thanks for the discussion