PDA

View Full Version : Ogg vorbis vs MP3?

Ian dewhurst
October 1st, 2009, 04:24 PM
I have downloaded what can only be described as a not the best quality youtube video in the world and converted it with soundconverter.

Now my question is - why oh why do I get better sound quality when the .flv file is converted to MP3 rather than Ogg vorbis? Its done on the same system so its not as if I'm doing the most unfair experiment

Id rather have the converted video in Ogg vorbis as I changed my firmware in MP3 player to play Ogg files and I really don't want to change it back :P

I can upload the files if one would like to compare?

Barrucadu
October 1st, 2009, 04:32 PM
I believe oggenc uses a lower quality setting than lame by default.

artir
October 1st, 2009, 04:46 PM
Try to set a higher quality with OGG by default

argie
October 1st, 2009, 04:46 PM
Is the audio in the flv already in mp3 format? In this case there will be no conversion involved for mp3 so you can expect what you got.

pwnst*r
October 1st, 2009, 05:05 PM
I have downloaded what can only be described as a not the best quality youtube video in the world and converted it with soundconverter.

Now my question is - why oh why do I get better sound quality when the .flv file is converted to MP3 rather than Ogg vorbis? Its done on the same system so its not as if I'm doing the most unfair experiment

Id rather have the converted video in Ogg vorbis as I changed my firmware in MP3 player to play Ogg files and I really don't want to change it back :P

I can upload the files if one would like to compare?

no such thing as getting better quality than source.

pwnst*r
October 1st, 2009, 05:06 PM
Try to set a higher quality with OGG by default

lol, no. transcoding ftl

Bölvağur
October 1st, 2009, 05:37 PM
you will have to look into what compression parameters you had on this and change it to your liking.

ogg is the best compressed vs quality at some compression levels than any other lossy audio format.

compressing audio and video can be complicated to get into, so perahaps you should read upon it while you are trying out parameters for the quality of the compression.... omgm my speech centre in my brain isnt working.

pwnst*r
October 1st, 2009, 05:45 PM
that's not going to make a difference. you will not get better quality than the source. transcoding makes the quality even worse when you're dealing with a lossy file.

hessiess
October 1st, 2009, 07:03 PM
Encoding from one lossy format to another is a very bad idea. If you want to convert FLV into anything use FLAC or WAV.