PDA

View Full Version : Do you like polls?

keplerspeed
October 1st, 2009, 09:31 AM
If you do, why? Do you find it fun and exciting to see how the community has voted, or do you find the feedback that the poll brings to be benificial?

Sean Moran
October 1st, 2009, 09:32 AM
It's more that usually, but not always, if it makes any sense, I can just click a button and not have to waste all that energy with writing something. :guitar:

keplerspeed
October 1st, 2009, 09:35 AM
All the older hackers hate mice for some reason, must be something to do with growing up without a GUI. So I would assume clicking is against their philosophy: so does this mean that terminal junkies dont like polls, because that means clicking?

LookTJ
October 1st, 2009, 09:38 AM
I think it's great to an extent, I don't like people who over-excessively post polls.

Sean Moran
October 1st, 2009, 09:40 AM
All the older hackers hate mice for some reason, must be something to do with growing up without a GUI. So I would assume clicking is against their philosophy: so does this mean that terminal junkies dont like polls, because that means clicking?

Valid point, although I might have failed to explain properly. It's more that someone else has put what you might have wrtten there in front of you, and so it only needs a quick click. If you want to hack alone, then lose the mouse and no more clicking. This is more of the duplex communication sort of simplicity. <--- nominee for the International Worst Evert Metaphor Competition 2009.)

LookTJ
October 1st, 2009, 09:42 AM
On elinks(as well as other text browsers) you can click you using a key.

Eisenwinter
October 1st, 2009, 09:49 AM
I think it's great to an extent, I don't like people who over-excessively post polls.
Same here.

For example, I think this particular poll is a waste of forum space, but that's just me.

Polls are good for collecting statistics, I think, but only if the statistics are actually benefitial in a way.

For example a 64bit usage poll is a good poll, imo, because it shows the growth of 64bit CPUs and operating systems usage.

A poll about "do you like polls?", to me, provides no statistical benefit, what do I care if the others like polls?

(This posts is my opinion only, just in case someone tries to pick it apart and associate it with some group, thanks).

keplerspeed
October 1st, 2009, 09:52 AM
I agree that this is a 'waste' of forum space, but this is the cafe. It's like saying that you can only chat in your lunch break at work if it has 'statistical benifit'.

Eisenwinter
October 1st, 2009, 09:56 AM
I agree with that. Who am I to judge you and your posts/polls? I am nobody.

This is why I didn't say something like "wtf? this thread should be deleted immediately! <angry face>".

chriskin
October 1st, 2009, 10:42 AM
If you do, why? Do you find it fun and exciting to see how the community has voted, or do you find the feedback that the poll brings to be benificial?

usually i'm too bored to write my opinion, so a poll helps :popcorn:

scragar
October 1st, 2009, 11:02 AM
I tend to avoid using the mouse other than when I have to, and you can use the keyboard to highlight options and select them(it's just a lot of "[tab][tab]...[tab][tab][tab][space][tab][space][tab][tab][tab][tab][tab][enter]...")

chriskin
October 1st, 2009, 11:03 AM
I tend to avoid using the mouse other than when I have to, and you can use the keyboard to highlight options and select them(it's just a lot of "[tab][tab]...[tab][tab][tab][space][tab][space][tab][tab][tab][tab][tab][enter]...")

isn't that twice the work?

scragar
October 1st, 2009, 11:07 AM
isn't that twice the work?

Actually it's not that much work if you're using a few tweaks in the way of greasemonkey scripts :p

[tab][tab] (letters appear next to buttons and such)
[tab] (letters move on 26 places to select more options)
[shift+tab] (letters move back 26 places)
[letter] (that link or check box is checked)
[escape] (letters disappear)

I could select every option on that poll and submit in about 1 sec if I wanted to, far more efficient that using the mouse.

chriskin
October 1st, 2009, 11:09 AM
Actually it's not that much work if you're using a few tweaks in the way of greasemonkey scripts :p

[tab][tab] (letters appear next to buttons and such)
[tab] (letters move on 26 places to select more options)
[shift+tab] (letters move back 26 places)
[letter] (that link or check box is checked)
[escape] (letters disappear)

I could select every option on that poll and submit in about 1 sec if I wanted to, far more efficient that using the mouse.

if i'm not too bored today i might try it :)

alienclone
October 1st, 2009, 11:27 AM
i like poles!

Exodist
October 1st, 2009, 11:30 AM
A Pole for Poles.. This sounds little to homo.. LMAO...

chriskin
October 1st, 2009, 11:33 AM
A Pole for Poles.. This sounds little to homo.. LMAO...

your post sounds a little on the racist side...

alienclone
October 1st, 2009, 11:51 AM
your post sounds a little on the racist side...

homosexuality is not a race, its a lifestyle.

scragar
October 1st, 2009, 12:00 PM
homosexuality is not a race, its a lifestyle.

See, now I was always under the impression it was a sexuality and the the racist part of the statement would have been towards the Polish.

Not that that's a race either, it's a nationality, but whatever.

Giant Speck
October 1st, 2009, 12:19 PM
For the most part, I don't mind polls, unless they:

1. Are biased because all the answers satisfy the OP's opinion.
2. Include ambiguous, random answers like "cheesecake is fuzzy" to distract from the purpose of the poll.
3. Include far too specific answers and/or do not include an indifferent option.
4. Include far too many options.

alienclone
October 1st, 2009, 01:03 PM
See, now I was always under the impression it was a sexuality and the the racist part of the statement would have been towards the Polish.

Not that that's a race either, it's a nationality, but whatever.

i am gay, the "lifestyle" was a joke.

alienclone
October 1st, 2009, 01:13 PM
For the most part, I don't mind polls, unless they:

1. Are biased because all the answers satisfy the OP's opinion.
2. Include ambiguous, random answers like "cheesecake is fuzzy" to distract from the purpose of the poll.
3. Include far too specific answers and/or do not include an indifferent option.
4. Include far too many options.

1. Most polls are.
2. Those can be funny depending on the nature of the subject being polled.
3. Would not be necessary since I doubt they would be taking a poll in the first place.
4. Depending on the subject, many options may be necessary.

Tibuda
October 1st, 2009, 01:16 PM
I like them so much that I voted in all your options.

keplerspeed
October 1st, 2009, 01:19 PM
I like the fact that we have 7 so far (minus daniel since I assume he knows) that have voted in a poll about polling without knowing what a poll is. What's the chances of that!?

alienclone
October 1st, 2009, 01:22 PM
I like the fact that we have 7 so far (minus daniel since I assume he knows) that have voted in a poll about polling without knowing what a poll is. What's the chances of that!?

i know what a poll is, but i didnt vote, where does that leave me? (besides in the dark)

keplerspeed
October 1st, 2009, 01:22 PM
Up a tree maybe? I dunno!

scragar
October 1st, 2009, 01:51 PM

whats a poll? 8 22.22%
It's 8 people, and apparently 22.22%

Tibuda
October 1st, 2009, 01:53 PM
It's 8 people, and apparently 22.22%

minus daniel since I assume he knows

That's me.

RiceMonster
October 1st, 2009, 01:55 PM
I voted for the following options:

I love polling, give me more!
I think the feedback is great
what a waste of time
whats a poll?

keplerspeed
October 1st, 2009, 01:58 PM
Seems like a popular choice.

jespdj
October 1st, 2009, 03:00 PM
Let's have a poll to ask if you like polls about polls. And then a poll to ask if you like polls about polls about polls. Etc...

I don't really like polls, because they give a false sense of an answer. People tend to think that the majority answer on a poll is The Truth, but it's not necessarily so.

random turnip
October 1st, 2009, 03:49 PM
I like polls. They give a clear indication of the general opinion of something without having to read the whole thread.