PDA

View Full Version : How to make a .deb create menu shortcuts?

DemonTPx
October 1st, 2009, 09:12 AM
Hi,

Using checkinstall, I've created a .deb for a game I've been working on. Here is my makefile:

CC=g++
CFLAGS=-c -Wall
LDFLAGS=-lSDL -lSDL_mixer -lz -lstdc++
SRCS=Airstrike.cpp\
AirstrikePowerUp.cpp\
AmmoPowerUp.cpp\
AudioController.cpp\
AudioOptions.cpp\
Bomb.cpp\
BombPowerUp.cpp\
CharacterSelect.cpp\
ChickNPC.cpp\
ControlsOptions.cpp\
DoubleDamagePowerUp.cpp\
GameInput.cpp\
Gameplay.cpp\
GameplayObject.cpp\
Graphics.cpp\
HealthPowerUp.cpp\
InstantKillBulletPowerUp.cpp\
Level.cpp\
LevelSelect.cpp\
LocalMultiplayer.cpp\
LocalMultiplayerRoundEnd.cpp\
Main.cpp\
Menu.cpp\
Mission.cpp\
NPC.cpp\
Options.cpp\
OptionsScreen.cpp\
PauseMenu.cpp\
Player.cpp\
PlayerAnimation.cpp\
Projectile.cpp\
Text.cpp\
Timer.cpp
OBJS=$(SRCS:.cpp=.o)
EXECUTABLE=battle

all: $(EXECUTABLE)

$(EXECUTABLE): $(OBJS)
$(CC) $(LDFLAGS) $(OBJS) -o battle

.cpp.o:
$(CC) $(CFLAGS) $< -o $@

clean:
-rm -rf *.o battle

install:
mkdir -p /usr/share/games/smashbattle
cp $(EXECUTABLE) /usr/share/games/smashbattle
mkdir -p /usr/share/games/smashbattle/gfx
mkdir -p /usr/share/games/smashbattle/sfx
mkdir -p /usr/share/games/smashbattle/music
mkdir -p /usr/share/games/smashbattle/stage
cp -R gfx/* /usr/share/games/smashbattle/gfx/
cp -R sfx/* /usr/share/games/smashbattle/sfx/
cp -R music/* /usr/share/games/smashbattle/music/
cp -R stage/* /usr/share/games/smashbattle/stage/
cp smashbattle /usr/local/bin/

This works great, but I also want my .deb to install a menu shortcut into the gnome and/or KDE menu. How can I do this?

I've already created two .desktop-files that need to be used.

More about the game here: devblog (http://smashbattle.condor.tv) sourceforge (http://sf.net/projects/smashbattle)

Thanks!

dinxter
October 1st, 2009, 10:28 AM
.desktop files in
/usr/share/applications/
should show up in menus
As checkinstall is a helper for using package management with local source and not really a 'proper' deb package i'm not sure how exactly the best way is to go about it. i believe checkinstall wraps around 'make install' so thats probably the section of your makefile to place the cp command in

DemonTPx
October 1st, 2009, 10:49 AM
.desktop files in
/usr/share/applications/
should show up in menus
As checkinstall is a helper for using package management with local source and not really a 'proper' deb package i'm not sure how exactly the best way is to go about it. i believe checkinstall wraps around 'make install' so thats probably the section of your makefile to place the cp command in
Thanks for your reply.

This sounds like a dirty way, but I'll give it a try. I haven't tried this before because I thought there might be proper way of doing this.
checkinstall indeed wraps around 'make install', that's why I've included the Makefile in my thread start.

dinxter
October 1st, 2009, 10:59 AM
it may look dirty :) but installing/removing .desktop files to that directory is a standard way for debian packages to add themselves to the menu system. its proper I promise!

DemonTPx
October 1st, 2009, 11:04 AM
it may look dirty :) but installing/removing .desktop files to that directory is a standard way for debian packages to add themselves to the menu system. its proper I promise!

I just tested it out. The deb-file copies the two .desktop-files to /usr/share/applications, but they don't show up in the menu or the menu editor. So it doesn't work :(.

dinxter
October 1st, 2009, 11:13 AM
i am on karmic i dont know if that makes any difference, i've attached proven working desktop entry, when i copy it to /usr/share/applications it shows up in 'Internet' on my gnome menu. There might be an 'update-menus' command you need to run but its not needed here. what do your .desktop files look like? i take it .desktop-files is a typo and the files are actually end in .desktop

dinxter
October 1st, 2009, 11:14 AM
well, attached it now anyway :)

DemonTPx
October 5th, 2009, 08:36 AM
This is what my smashbattle.desktop file looks like:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Version=1.0
Name=Smash Battle
GenericName=Arcade mutliplayer shooter
Icon=/usr/share/games/smashbattle/gfx/SB.png
Exec=/usr/local/bin/smashbattle
Categories=Game;ArcadeGame;

I don't see anything wrong with it... the update-menus command also doesn't change anything...

dinxter
October 5th, 2009, 08:45 AM
strange, i've just copied that .desktop file to /usr/share/applications and it shows up in the menu instantly on karmic