PDA

View Full Version : How would you define your "Ubuntu Experience"

wersdaluv
October 1st, 2009, 03:18 AM
Each product provides a unique experience to its user. Ubuntu (the OS not the community or anything else) offers a unique experience.

If you were to describe your "Ubuntu Experience," how would you state it? How do you perceive the Ubuntu desktop?

You can state it in one adjective and expound or in any other way that you see is fit.

Thanks in advance! :)

:KS

Sean Moran
October 1st, 2009, 04:05 AM
First one that came to mind in a hurry was, 'Like clockwork' because it amazed me how smoothly everything just worked perfectly straight from the .iso image. It even tells me the weather in Marrakech now, and that too, although it's not technicallly what a clock is meant to do, still reminds me of 'clockwork'.
:popcorn:

newbemac
October 1st, 2009, 04:06 AM
challanging,

JillSwift
October 1st, 2009, 04:11 AM
"Fun"

Had I not had a growing dissatisfaction with Windows I would have probably switched anyway. Open source just offers a whole lot more interesting options - fun fun fun!

oomingmak
October 1st, 2009, 04:12 AM
Shoddy

ninjapirate89
October 1st, 2009, 04:19 AM
Perfect. I've never had any major problems and all my hardware always just works.

loell
October 1st, 2009, 04:23 AM
because it doesn't need to be in words. :)

http://www.polarisresearch.com/res/Default/genericchart.png

Dimitriid
October 1st, 2009, 04:37 AM
Old desktop: 8/10 I managed to get most everything worked but did suffered some slow downs and couldn't turn on all eyecandy at once cause of the ram. Beats any other OS I could possibly install on the system with the exception of Arch Linux.

Netbook: Untested, I want to make sure I have some sort of iso before I start partitioning that hdd.

New Desktop: 9/10 everything works, I can max everything, run anything I want all at once. Its only missing PC games basically. This set up is not too significant because this system can run even a resource mammoth like Vista with 0 efford.

Earl_Maroon
October 1st, 2009, 04:37 AM
improving

My initial experience with Ubuntu was with Gutsy, with which I had a lot of problems. Steadily Ubuntu has been improving with every new release.

Tipped OuT
October 1st, 2009, 04:38 AM
A... hobby.

Always learning something new, and it's very interesting to get things working.

wersdaluv
October 1st, 2009, 04:44 AM
Interesting!

Keep 'em coming! :) Thanks, everyone :)

Sand & Mercury
October 1st, 2009, 05:58 AM
Unobtrusive, intuitive, boring.

handy
October 1st, 2009, 07:04 AM
The Ubuntu community got me going in Debian Linux, I then switched to Ubuntu when Breezy was new.

But it was not Ubuntu so much as the community that got me into Linux.

For me the Ubuntu community is the most important thing.

This site fostered the Ubuntu community, without which there would be far less Ubuntu users.

Personally I can't see Ubuntu without the community.

I haven't consistently used Ubuntu for about 2 years, (though I have mint available on my 2nd box). The Ubuntu community is where it is at for me these days. Though since the shutting down of the Backyard & the Other OS Talk sub-forums, the community spirit here has diminished somewhat.

ynnhoj
October 1st, 2009, 07:25 AM
ubuntu is a swell distro :) in all of the time i've had ubuntu on one computer or another, i've not had any major problems. i don't use ubuntu exclusively these days, but i'll always try to keep up with new releases and the community.

Sean Moran
October 1st, 2009, 07:27 AM
Personally I can't see Ubuntu without the community.

The icing on the cake. Amen.

Glugglug
October 1st, 2009, 09:12 AM
Not bad at all started on 7.04 now on 9.04 the only release I couldn't use was Gutsy 7.10 .

baskar007
October 1st, 2009, 10:00 AM
Always learning something new with ubuntu.:popcorn:

LookTJ
October 1st, 2009, 10:08 AM
The Ubuntu community is what got me into Linux.

I started with Ubuntu 6.06 in July 2006. 6 months later, I put Windows back on for gaming, as a dual boot. 2 months later, wiped Windows.

In the middle of 7.04(I think August 2007) I switched to Arch,, and the story on...

Debian - October 2008
Windows 7 - April/May 2009
back to Arch - July 2009.

texpat
October 1st, 2009, 10:20 AM
Brown Sugar. :guitar:

carniola
October 1st, 2009, 10:44 AM
Quiet desperation.

handy
October 1st, 2009, 11:31 AM
Quiet desperation.

Hmmm?

I think(?) you may appreciate this forum's help also...?

Really, this forum exists to save people from quiet desperation.

Dragonbite
October 1st, 2009, 02:32 PM
My "Ubuntu Experience" has been refreshing.

Ubuntu has moved into my "if all else fails, I'll install Ubuntu" when I am testing things out because It works well with all of my hardware for the most part (which is easier to handle than trying to find the right drivers for Windows XP because my CD burned with the drivers is unreadable) I am more familiar with Ubuntu than with any other distro at this point. The community has helped me when I do run into problems (and they don't require me to sit on hold for the next available teller... ) I can test things out with a working LiveCD or, as I have done on numerous occasions, I can use the Ubuntu LiveCD to extract my files off of a Windows hard drive that no longer wants to boot for some odd reason. I can have it installed and usable in a matter of a few short hours, and that includes installing it, setting up my email, accessing my bookmarks and some common files.

At the same time, it is liberating because I can install and try out so much, learn from them and not have to worry about making sure I received enough of a return on my investment. Even 120 day trials are not long enough to really check things out when it may be a week before I can get back to it.
My server runs Ubuntu Server edition, how much is Windows Server? Other than the free Windows Server 2000 the company was getting rid of a couple months ago, which I plan on installing and fooling around with as a virtual machine sometime. I had the opportunity to try out the Edubuntu LTSP server and learn about thin clients and the server side of things without paying for all of those licenses or only having 30/60/90/120 days to try it out. It took a few months to come to realize that my son was going to keep trying to get SuperTuxKart running on the thin client and that just doesn't (didn't at least) work! Now that I am learning more about things, I may try out the LTSP yet again. I can pick up second-hand computers and not worry so much about license keys, activation, etc. I could also conceivably take all of the computers in the house (or somebody's office) and put Ubuntu on all of them so an office with older computers that cannot upgrade could have the latest-and-secure Linux distro on all of their systems regardless.

Last, but not least, it is also refreshing to be part of this community. By community, I don't just mean the UbuntuForums either. When I see people using Linux while I am out-and-about I find that even if they don't use Ubuntu, they have heard of it and recognize it. Most members of the computer club Linux SIG are running (k)(x)Ubuntu Ubuntu provides marketing which means when I wear my Ubuntu hat, people ask questions but some already have an idea what it is and asks questions for more detail I freely hand out free CDs when I get the chance and they look very professional from ShipIt!

So, overall I would say my "Ubuntu Experience" has been good. And it isn't just Ubuntu's experience as it is overall Linux's experience. Ubuntu, though, has just upped the awareness of people I think.

linux-hack
October 1st, 2009, 03:14 PM
A challenge of knowledge,each time learn more about it's wonderful power :)

random turnip
October 1st, 2009, 03:54 PM
Fun.
Compared to using Windows i find Ubuntu more stress free and just generally a nicer environment to use my computer with.

davo11
October 1st, 2009, 04:40 PM
windows but free. and easier to use. and more lightweight. and more useful.