PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] getline() not being executed in program

kcode
October 1st, 2009, 01:58 AM
getline is just being ignored in the code! After first input 'yes' is displayed.

int main()
{
int t,i, len=0, k, T;
string pattern;
while ( cin >> T ){
for (i=0; i<T; i++){
getline( cin, pattern );
len = pattern.length();
if ( len == 0 ){
cout << "Yes" << endl;
continue;
}
if ( len%2 != 0 ){
cout << "No" << endl;
continue;
}
if ( valid( pattern, len ) ) cout << "Yes" << endl;
else cout << "No" << endl;
}
pattern.clear();
}
return 0;
}

lisati
October 1st, 2009, 02:07 AM
<never mind, code as posted won't even compile for me.....>

kcode
October 1st, 2009, 02:14 AM
Its is already included.

dwhitney67
October 1st, 2009, 02:18 AM
while ( cin >> T ){
cin.ignore(100, '\n'); // 100 was arbitrarily chosen.

Read here for more info: http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/iostream/istream/ignore/

kcode
October 3rd, 2009, 12:18 PM
while ( cin >> T ){
cin.ignore(100, '\n'); // 100 was arbitrarily chosen.

Read here for more info: http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/iostream/istream/ignore/

I got that but I dont see how it solves my problem. getline() fucntion is skipped for no reason.

Thanks

MadCow108
October 3rd, 2009, 12:51 PM
maybe your logic is wrong
if you input according to what is expected by that code it does not get skipped:
a number followed by N strings followed by newline e.g.
3 fgdf
fg
fg

dwhitney67
October 3rd, 2009, 12:56 PM
I got that but I dont see how it solves my problem. getline() fucntion is skipped for no reason.

Thanks

It is not skipped; seriously, did you step through your code using the debugger? Or at a minimum, place trace print out statements in your code?

The getline() is being called, and it is cheerfully gobbling up the newline character that you left behind in the input stream (cin) after you prompted the user to enter a numeric value.

cin will fulfill parsing the int-value that is entered, and will consider the input up to, but not including, the newline that is entered. So even if you enter 123abc<enter>, cin will return 123. The rest of the "crap" is still sitting in the input stream.

If you still have your doubts, try this test program, and when running it, enter "123abc<enter>" at the prompt.

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

int main()
{
using std::cout;
using std::cin;
using std::endl;

int number;
std::string crap;

cout << "Enter a number: ";
cin >> number;

getline(cin, crap);

cout << "Number entered: " << number << endl;
cout << "Add't crap : " << crap << endl;
}

Now with respect to the cin.ignore(), it will discard the "crap" by flushing the input stream up to and including the delimiter character specified. In the example I provided in the earlier post, I specified the '\n' as the delimiter, and I told it to flush up to 100 characters.

P.S. If when running your app, you do not enter a numeric value when prompted, the while loop will never be traversed because cin will convert its state to a boolean, which will be false.

kcode
October 3rd, 2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks, got it.