PDA

View Full Version : Jolicloud

cdwillis
October 1st, 2009, 12:34 AM
www.jolicloud.org

Has anyone tried this out? It looks interesting, sort of like Intel's Moblin.

I finally got my email from them, and downloaded the iso. I tried to make a usb boot disk with it with the newest version of unetbootin and it failed to create a bootable disk. I'm not sure what's up with that.

dragos240
October 1st, 2009, 12:35 AM
Does your flash disk use a fat filesystem? If not, change it to that. Works better on that.

cdwillis
October 1st, 2009, 12:41 AM
The usb stick is formatted to NTFS right now so I could read it on my XP partition. Maybe I'll try changing it to FAT32.

dragos240
October 1st, 2009, 12:46 AM
Yes, unetbootin will only work on fat32 and fat16.

Tux.Ice
October 1st, 2009, 12:49 AM
Using Jolicloud as I type this. Been using it for awhile. No problems. No real differences. Its Ubuntu with a theme.

NormanFLinux
October 1st, 2009, 12:50 AM
I tried it. Its basically Ubuntu Netbook Remix with a proprietary cloud interface thrown on top of it

dragos240
October 1st, 2009, 12:53 AM
Isn't Jolicloud FOSS?

NormanFLinux
October 1st, 2009, 12:56 AM
No. Its a private alpha. You can wait to be invited to download it or you can install it from a torrent file.

cdwillis
October 1st, 2009, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the tip on the file system dragos. Jolicloud booted up fine, but it really does seem to be just netbook remix with the jolicloud interface for installing programs. I wish the netbook remix interface was as slick as the Jolicloud portion, that's what initially sparked my interest.

zekopeko
October 1st, 2009, 01:27 AM
I wish the netbook remix interface was as slick as the Jolicloud portion, that's what initially sparked my interest.

It is. Check Karmic UNR.

joey-elijah
October 1st, 2009, 01:46 AM
It is. Check Karmic UNR.

QFT.

I was so shocked/amazed/over joyed when i tried Alpha 6 og NBR - it's sooooooo beautiful and, oddly, unbuggy! Even works fine with compiz for some added bling.

cdwillis
October 1st, 2009, 04:43 AM
The netbook remix included with Jolicloud did look better than the one that came with Jaunty but it didn't look different, it was just black to match Jolicloud's interface.

dustigroove
October 8th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Using Jolicloud as I type this. Been using it for awhile. No problems. No real differences. Its Ubuntu with a theme.

Actually this is very incorrect. Jolicloud is not just UNR with cosmetic changes slapped on... they maintain their own kernel along with a number of modules.

See this article for a few more specifics:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=jolicloud_preview&num=1

pyraxiate
March 3rd, 2010, 08:56 PM
Actually this is very incorrect. Jolicloud is not just UNR with cosmetic changes slapped on... they maintain their own kernel along with a number of modules.

See this article for a few more specifics:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=jolicloud_preview&num=1

Hi there,
Just my thoughts on the matter. While they may maintain their own kernel, it is 100% Ubuntu Jaunty. Im typing this now from the pre-beta edition using KDE which i nabbed using apt-get. Its Jaunty using Gnome interface which is customized with joliclouds theme. You can add/remove ANY UI you want ( KDE / GNOME / X-WINDOWS/ XFCE / ECT.. ), not to mention any Ubuntu .deb packages within the repos.

Just a little FYI for you ;)

Sincerely,
Wayne

PS,
Jolicloud is a great little OS. Currently its installed on my netbook ( Hp Mini 5101 ) onto an 8gb SD card. Im surprised at how reactive and smooth the experience has been. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Im more than happy to help you set things up :)