PDA

View Full Version : Just how secure is Linux?

JohneG
September 30th, 2009, 11:18 PM
And what should i be aware of?

taseedorf
September 30th, 2009, 11:24 PM
One big thing, we careful doing routines or commands as root. You can actually do some damage. Make sure your firewall is set up properly. If you are new to Linux, Firestarter is a good firewall gui. For the average user, you won't have to worry about a lot. Virus and spyware of the like are not very common on a Linux box. Also, on normal day to day use it is nice to login as a user who does not have root privileges.

BQAggie2006
September 30th, 2009, 11:36 PM
What Linux distribution will you be using and what will you be using your computer for (personal computing, server, etc)?

In general, Linux distributions are stable and secure; however, there are things that users do (web, email, P2P) or configure their distribution to do (web hosting, file sharing) that can increase risk to the machine's security. Because of this, we need to know what you will be using your computer for to better help you understand what precautions you should take and what you should be aware of.

JohneG
September 30th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I am using Ubuntu Jaunty. I use it for Internet (very little past researching and email accounts. No facebook or any of that crap), listening to music, Photo editing, Audio production, General office apps, Watching dvds etc

credobyte
September 30th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Enough secure to not to worry about it. If you are too concerned about viruses and such, install Avast ( home editions, as always, for free ).

fela
October 1st, 2009, 12:18 AM
Also, on normal day to day use it is nice to login as a user who does not have root privileges.

Not nice - essential. You should never login as root unless it's temporary and just for a certain task such as installing some software - and even then you can use sudo instead if you have it installed.

I think the best security policy with Linux and computers in general is just to use your common sense. You can get the best 1000 lock for your bike but it only works if you lock it up right.

BQAggie2006
October 1st, 2009, 02:59 AM
Since you will only be doing basic home computing you probably won't have to worry too much about your OS security. General web vulnerabilities (XSS, Java, etc) can still be a problem, but just practice safe browsing and you should be fine. There aren't many Linux viruses in the wild, but if you are still worried about them, you can install a virus scanner such as ClamAV or AVG Free for Linux.

ClamAV is located in the software repositories, along with a GUI frontend for it (ClamTK). AVG Free for Linux will have to be downloaded from the website and installed with the .deb installer.

Hope this helps.

sydbat
October 1st, 2009, 06:04 PM
Since you will only be doing basic home computing you probably won't have to worry too much about your OS security. General web vulnerabilities (XSS, Java, etc) can still be a problem, but just practice safe browsing and you should be fine. There aren't many Linux viruses in the wild, but if you are still worried about them, you can install a virus scanner such as ClamAV or AVG Free for Linux.

ClamAV is located in the software repositories, along with a GUI frontend for it (ClamTK). AVG Free for Linux will have to be downloaded from the website and installed with the .deb installer.

Hope this helps.All those only search for Windows malware. They may run on Linux, but have no Linux definitions and are useless resource hogs.

Some may say that running a scanner like these is good for keeping Windows users safe from potential Windows malware forwarding from your Linux box, but that is BS. If the person/people you send things to are too lazy to have some type of security software on their Windows boxes, it is NOT your problem.

Want to make sure your Linux box is secure? Read this sticky that no one else thought about directing you to - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=510812

cguy
October 3rd, 2009, 02:33 PM
So I shouldn't use the user created during install for casual computing, right?
Having unlimited sudo is almost as bad as being logged in as root, am I correct?

Should I add another user? What type? Desktop user or Unprivileged?

DrMelon
October 3rd, 2009, 02:38 PM
I love this little joke that explains why there are no viruses on Linux :D
http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/evilmalware.html

Boom!!!
October 3rd, 2009, 02:51 PM
As far back as I can remember Linux has always been secure from viruses and not just because it's not as mainstream as MS windows but because of how it's built.

gordintoronto
October 3rd, 2009, 03:06 PM
So I shouldn't use the user created during install for casual computing, right?
Having unlimited sudo is almost as bad as being logged in as root, am I correct?

Should I add another user? What type? Desktop user or Unprivileged?

The user created during Ubuntu installation is safe to use. Only when you type:

sudo (progname)

does it become (briefly) unsafe, and that can be done by any user.

aysiu
October 3rd, 2009, 04:24 PM
The user created during Ubuntu installation is safe to use. Only when you type:

sudo (progname)

does it become (briefly) unsafe, and that can be done by any user. Actually, no.

A user has to be part of the admin group in order to have sudo privileges.

And sudo requires password authentication. There is a 15-minute timeout period after the first sudo in which you can issue other sudo commands without re-authenticating, but that timeout doesn't carry across multiple terminal sessions.

You can also change the timeout to 0.

Frak
October 3rd, 2009, 04:31 PM
A user has to be part of the admin group in order to have sudo privileges.

I thought it was the wheel group, they had to be a part of.

aysiu
October 3rd, 2009, 04:48 PM
Maybe I'm reading the /etc/sudoers file incorrectly, but I believe it's saying it's the admin group:
# /etc/sudoers
#
# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
#
# See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
#

Defaults env_reset

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL

# Uncomment to allow members of group sudo to not need a password
# (Note that later entries override this, so you might need to move
# it further down)
# %sudo ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL

# Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL
Maybe the wheel group is for Mac OS X?

Frak
October 3rd, 2009, 04:55 PM
Maybe I'm reading the /etc/sudoers file incorrectly, but I believe it's saying it's the admin group:
# /etc/sudoers
#
# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
#
# See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
#

Defaults env_reset

# Host alias specification

# User alias specification

# Cmnd alias specification

# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL

# Uncomment to allow members of group sudo to not need a password
# (Note that later entries override this, so you might need to move
# it further down)
# %sudo ALL=NOPASSWD: ALL

# Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
%admin ALL=(ALL) ALL
Maybe the wheel group is for Mac OS X?
Correction from me: Everybody else still uses the Wheel group, except Ubuntu, which uses the Admin group.

fela
October 3rd, 2009, 06:47 PM

It can be any group as long as that group is in the /etc/sudoers file.

It can even be a particular user that's in the /etc/sudoers file. In fact sudo is extremely flexible.

<snip>

fela
October 3rd, 2009, 06:48 PM
Correction from me: Everybody else still uses the Wheel group, except Ubuntu, which uses the Admin group.

I use the sudo group. Makes things less complicated :)