PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] to make two partitions (one windows-non bootable NTFS I guess) and another kubuntu bo

lse123
September 30th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I buy now a 500GB notebook EXTERNAL HDD, Well my install even 10 Linux in 10 partitions and a program to choose from where to boot(external) ? Linux(KUBUNTU) partition may be NTFS ?

May use Kubuntu CDROM to make two partitions (one windows-non bootable NTFS I guess) and another kubuntu bootable(what FS you recommend?) ? ALL this DONE from kubuntu cdrom bootable 9.04(note: external disk i have)?

where I may find table of new releases (eg kubuntu 9.10 when?)?

oldfred
September 30th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Linux cannot be NTFS, that is windows. A non-bootable NTFS is fine for sharing with a windows install. Ubuntu is EXT3 or EXT4. EXT3 is the current standard for Ubuntu installs and EXT4 will be the standard for new installs of Karmic.

If you are thinking of multibooting you need to review these sites:
boot 145 systems, older but still relevant
http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?p=861282#post861282
One way to choose what to boot:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~herman546/p15.html#How_to_make_a_separate_Grub_Partition_

Karmic is due to be released the end of October.

lse123
September 30th, 2009, 09:50 PM
how many linuxs i may insert on a single 500gb laptop external-HDD, ALL BOOTABLE with choice to boot between all ?

lse123
September 30th, 2009, 09:52 PM
non-bootable NTFS partition for sharing with windows can be done from kubuntu 9.10 ?

ezsit
September 30th, 2009, 10:00 PM
non-bootable NTFS partition for sharing with windows can be done from kubuntu 9.10 ?

Not that I know of. I believe to format NTFS you must do so from Windows. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

ajgreeny
September 30th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I believe to format NTFS you must do so from Windows. Please correct me if I am mistaken. I think you must therefore be corrected. You can make and format a partition to ntfs in ubuntu easily with gparted, though you need to have ntfs -3g and ntfsprogs installed to do it.

oldfred
September 30th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Windows and I think Opensolaris must be on one of the primary partitions. Most linuxes can be on a logical partition in the extended partition. You can have 4 partitions one of which may be an extended partition. Within the extended you can have many but I have not heard of a definitive number as the link above had 145 systems on 2 drives.

All the partitioning should be done from gparted either separately or as part of an install of a system. You need to plan ahead on what you want if you are planning many systems.

lse123
October 2nd, 2009, 02:45 PM
I mean from UBUNTU OR KUBUNTU BOOTABLE CDROM, Is it need to have ntfs -3g and ntfsprogs OR exist such in bootable cdrom ?