PDA

View Full Version : Guess what Linksys is missing.

dragos240
September 30th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Linux support. That's right. I called Linksys yesterday to fix my router problem and guess what I got:

To continue in english press 1, para............. *I pressed 1*

If you are a Windows user, press 1. If you are a Mac user, press 2.

There was no linux support. So I chose the Mac support. I asked them, they said that Linux was not supported. :(

RiceMonster
September 30th, 2009, 08:08 PM
cool story bro

SunnyRabbiera
September 30th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Actually they will help you unofficially if you ask them, sometimes they will aid you.

Tibuda
September 30th, 2009, 08:13 PM
cool story bro

yes cool story bro

RiceMonster
September 30th, 2009, 08:14 PM
yes cool story bro

Haha, win

dragos240
September 30th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Actually they will help you unofficially if you ask them, sometimes they will aid you.

They did. But they said that I need to know my OS well.

Tristam Green
September 30th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Linux support. That's right. I called Linksys yesterday to fix my router problem and guess what I got:

There was no linux support. So I chose the Mac support. I asked them, they said that Linux was not supported. :(

Sorry for your loss. The box for the router probably even says "Requires Windows 98/SE/Me/2000/XP, Vista, Mac OSX", so that's what you should really expect for your support.

dragos240
September 30th, 2009, 08:19 PM
True. But as Linux grows, their business will shrink.

schauerlich
September 30th, 2009, 08:22 PM
Piece Of Hardware Only Supports 99% Of Consumer Computers - Film At 11

Tristam Green
September 30th, 2009, 08:24 PM
True. But as Linux grows, their business will shrink.

No it won't. They'll scale it to reflect the userbase.

Geeze, what is it with you folks thinking that business is static?

dragos240
September 30th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Piece Of Hardware Only Supports 99% Of Consumer Computers - Film At 11

If that's true, Linux would be supported. 2.11%

-grubby
September 30th, 2009, 08:30 PM

No matter which vague statistical number you post, Linux still does not have a very large desktop presence.

dragos240
September 30th, 2009, 08:31 PM
That's true.

Tristam Green
September 30th, 2009, 08:33 PM

So that means for every 100 help desk technicians they employ, 2 of those persons needs to be a Linux tech.

Or on an even fairer scale, for every 98 pieces of documentation, there needs to exist 2 Linux-specific documentation. How do they judge which distro to use, when the choices are myriad? Then you get into difficulty of the tech really understanding which flavor the end-user is currently using.

schauerlich
September 30th, 2009, 08:34 PM

That's a generous number. Most I've seen put it between 0.60-0.95%. Either way, it's a miniscule share comparatively.

Piece Of Hardware Only Supports 97.89% Of Consumer Computers - Film At 11

Better?

dragos240
September 30th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Yeah. I just love messing with statistics.

schauerlich
September 30th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Yeah. I just love messing with statistics.

You'll make a good businessman, then.

Bachstelze
September 30th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Do you want an egg shell to wear on your head?

dragos240
September 30th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Why does that remind me of chao :3.

RiceMonster
September 30th, 2009, 08:40 PM
So that means for every 100 help desk technicians they employ, 2 of those persons needs to be a Linux tech.

Or on an even fairer scale, for every 98 pieces of documentation, there needs to exist 2 Linux-specific documentation. How do they judge which distro to use, when the choices are myriad? Then you get into difficulty of the tech really understanding which flavor the end-user is currently using.

A very large majority of Linux users do not require tech support in the first place, because they are good with computers, or they just use google. That pushes the amount of users they need to support even lower.

Tristam Green
September 30th, 2009, 08:42 PM
A very large majority of Linux users do not require tech support in the first place, because they are good with computers, or they just use google. That pushes the ratio even lower.

I get what you mean.

LowSky
sorry to sound ignorant, but most routers use a web based interface.. My D-link doesn't say Linux support nor did the older model or the netgear before that, but they worked right out of the box. I didn't need to use their special installation CDs or go to the web looking for how to. Setting up a router is easy.

for example I will explain is these nice easy steps
- connect Cat5e or Cat6 to you modem to the routers port labels modem,
- connect Cat5e or Cat6 to LAN1 to computers Ethernet port.
- turn on router, modem and PC
- open web browser (like Firefox) type 192.168.0.1 (check you router manual for the address, or bottom of router
- enter the admin and password, again check manual or bottom of router
- assign passwords or addresses as needed including configure wireless support if necessary.
- enjoy your networked internet connection

wojox
Sad part is virtually all the routers and gateways out there are some form of *nix embedded OS.

Bachstelze
A very large majority of Linux users do not require tech support in the first place, because they are good with computers, or they just use google. That amount of users they need to support even lower.

Thus making it even less intetesting for companies.

forrestcupp
You'd be better off asking for help from this forum.

You should be able to do anything you need with it in Linux, though. Most router settings are changed from within your browser. You just enter the default gateway address into the browser's address bar. A common problem is knowing what kind of internet connection you have, and setting your router's settings for that kind of connection. Other than that, 99% of the time, they'll just tell you to unplug your router for 30 seconds and plug it back in to see if it fixes it. ;)

If it's not that or a problem with you not knowing how to hook it up, you probably need to bring it to this community, anyway.

RiceMonster
September 30th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Thus making it even less intetesting for companies.

Yep, that's what I was getting at.

Bachstelze
September 30th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Yep, that's what I was getting at.

Great minds think alike. :p

dragos240
September 30th, 2009, 08:44 PM
5 posts in 1 min.

Bachstelze
September 30th, 2009, 08:45 PM
5 posts in 1 min.

We need moar.

-grubby
September 30th, 2009, 08:46 PM
5 posts in 1 min.

I think this warrants a guitar: :guitar:

dragos240
September 30th, 2009, 08:46 PM
Moar!

oldsoundguy
September 30th, 2009, 08:49 PM
IMO Linksys is crap anyway!! Even their Windows support sux! And try and run printers attached to computers as network printers! Lots of times you have to resort to a printer hub!

D-Link, in the main, will work out of the box, their service speaks English, and you can usually get someone to assist with Linux. After all .. ALMOST ALL ROUTERS run Linux as their OS.

Tristam Green
September 30th, 2009, 08:53 PM
IMO Linksys is crap anyway!! Even their Windows support sux! And try and run printers attached to computers as network printers! Lots of times you have to resort to a printer hub!

Works fine for my Linksys router and my NETGEAR router.

dragos240
September 30th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I couldn't get my netgear router working :(

Tristam Green
September 30th, 2009, 08:58 PM
I couldn't get my netgear router working :(

Something tells me the problem isn't with the router, then.

steveneddy
September 30th, 2009, 09:04 PM
I know I'm going to regret asking this, but what exactly were you trying to accomplish that you felt you had to call tech support?

PurposeOfReason
September 30th, 2009, 09:14 PM
So you can install arch (which I gather is so elite from these forums) but you can't work a router that even if you answered Windows they would just tell you to go to 192.168.1.1 and then the OS be invalid?

Just makin' sure here.

dragos240
September 30th, 2009, 09:26 PM
Our modem is funky. Every time my router resets it will not connect to the modem, and the modem will not function, I had to call comcast and linksys to get it working, and get the refresh signal. very irritating.

mkendall
October 1st, 2009, 02:14 AM
Guess what Linksys is missing.

Quality control?

dragos240
October 1st, 2009, 02:15 AM
Quality control?

:lol: :lolflag:

pwnst*r
October 1st, 2009, 02:50 AM
That's true.

make a stand for a change.

Dimitriid
October 1st, 2009, 04:29 AM
A very large majority of Linux users do not require tech support in the first place, because they are good with computers, or they just use google. That pushes the amount of users they need to support even lower.

Then again is harder to "google" or get most of the usual linux support without a working router.

pwnst*r
October 1st, 2009, 04:34 AM
um... go straight to your modem?

Dimitriid
October 1st, 2009, 04:43 AM

That's why I said more difficult, direct modem can be more of an annoyance specially for people with wireless set ups.

kevdog
October 1st, 2009, 05:28 AM
I'm not buying the whole reset theory!! And who the heck uses stock Linksys firmware anyway when there are better alternatives?

Frak
October 1st, 2009, 05:37 AM
I'm not buying the whole reset theory!! And who the heck uses stock Linksys firmware anyway when there are better alternatives?
I have a Linksys router that doesn't have enough internal storage to support 3rd party firmware.

As for the OP, cool story bro.

lisati
October 1st, 2009, 05:43 AM

That's why I said more difficult, direct modem can be more of an annoyance specially for people with wireless set ups.

Um err I don't have Linksys gear and can only go straight from computer to modem if I unplug one router, disconnect a router & modem combo (both in the one box), and reinstate an old modem...

Exodist
October 1st, 2009, 05:45 AM

Yea I feel ya.. I HATE my linksys router. Its working right now finally after 3 years of messing with it. But I will never buy another one.

renkinjutsu
October 1st, 2009, 06:05 AM
Our modem is funky. Every time my router resets it will not connect to the modem, and the modem will not function, I had to call comcast and linksys to get it working, and get the refresh signal. very irritating.

Don't tell me you have the WRT54G 8-[

PurposeOfReason
October 1st, 2009, 06:06 AM
Don't tell me you have the WRT54G 8-[
If he does and it isn't running ddwrt or tomato something is wrong. That is the router of the gods.

Frak
October 1st, 2009, 06:10 AM
If he does and it isn't running ddwrt or tomato something is wrong. That is the router of the gods.
Aye.

The magical router of infinite possibilities.

Nevon
October 1st, 2009, 07:57 AM

Oh yes. I've got one sitting right here, and I've never been as happy with a router as I have been with this one - even running stock firmware. The only thing I'm missing is DHCP reservations, but DD-WRT has that, so I only need to take some time to replace the firmware and I'll be all set.

As for Linksys not supporting Linux, I think that's a mistake on their part. Think of it this way: Everyone who buys a router will be able to call tech support, right? Out of all Windows and Mac users who buy a router, perhaps a third will call tech support (I have no basis for this number, it's purely for illustrative purposes). If they would officially support Linux, perhaps a sixth of all Linux users who buy a router will call - as they are generally more used to googling and doing their own research. If their sales would consist of 1% Linux users, that means about 0.5% of their calls will be for Linux-support. With that little calls, they would need to employ very few Linux-technicians. However, having official Linux support would give them lots and lots of goodwill within the Linux community - as any Linux-user who would ask what a good choice in routers would be, would be advised to go with a Linksys router.

If all it takes is two-three technicians to boost router sales by a percent or so, isn't that worth it?

ade234uk
October 1st, 2009, 11:05 AM
Exactly. There is a an opportunity for Vendors to get a good reputation amongst Linux Users.

A good example is Nvidia. Because they supported Linux before ATI, Nvidia was my preferred choice when choosing a new Graphics Card.

So what do they lose providing a bit of Linux support, nothing. Not only do they make more money, but they get customer loyalty and the possibility that customer might be back to purchase another one of their products.

Another example was my .MP3 player. I choose the Sansa because I knew it supported Linux and I know that sandisk provide a little bit of Linux support.

Swagman
October 1st, 2009, 11:22 AM
I threw my Linksys router in the bin. P.O.S !!

Bought a netgear.. end of problem.

Ironically my Linksys wireless card is great.

btw.. I thought I'd read somewhere that Linksys had gone down the pan ?

dragos240
October 1st, 2009, 12:17 PM
Really?