PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] switching HD's after installation

mjgood
September 30th, 2009, 05:03 PM
Okay so I'm trying to breathe some life back into my old P3 system using xubuntu (jaunty 9.04). To make a long story short, the only way that I could actually install the OS was to plug the hard drive into abother machine, install xubuntu onto the hard drive from there, and then plug the hard drive back into the P3 and hope for the best. It seems that xubuntu is now installed, more or less. However, when the system starts, the only thing that ever comes up is the mouse with the light blue background, nothing else loads.

I can get into recovery mode no problem, and I can switch users by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del when the system is loaded up, but I have no clue where to go from here. What can I do to make the xubuntu load the rest of the way?

markbuntu
October 1st, 2009, 02:54 AM
The most likely problem is that the machines have different graphics cards/drivers. To fix that boot into recovery mode and choose the fix x option.

gordintoronto
October 1st, 2009, 03:00 AM
How much memory in the old machine?

mjgood
October 3rd, 2009, 05:22 PM
512 MB in the old machine. I have already booted into recovery mode and tried the 'attempt to repair graphics driver' thingy option. The original installation machine has an NVidia 7300, and the old one has an NVidia 4200Ti. I will try switching the graphics cards to see if that does anything.