PDA

View Full Version : Switching the HDD channel.

Boom!!!
September 30th, 2009, 03:42 PM
This question is not Ubuntu specific so I put it here if that's alright. :)

This PC is set up with the HDD as primary master but is it possible to change the HDD to primary slave or Secondary master?

And if so is it done by switching the cables on the motherboard or by other means, I have installed HDD's to the mainboard before so I know all about the safety aspect.

Basically just want to switch it for an hour or so then switch it back but google brought nothing up.

v8YKxgHe
September 30th, 2009, 03:54 PM
There is normally a jumper (looks like a bit of plastic, say 1mm by 3mm) on some pins at the back of the hard drive. Depending on the drive, you can put it in multiple modes such as Primary, Master, Cable Select. You'd need to set that to what ever you need, then set the other drive which I assume you're going to add in, as primary.

Boom!!!
September 30th, 2009, 04:05 PM
There is normally a jumper (looks like a bit of plastic, say 1mm by 3mm) on some pins at the back of the hard drive. Depending on the drive, you can put it in multiple modes such as Primary, Master, Cable Select. You'd need to set that to what ever you need, then set the other drive which I assume you're going to add in, as primary.

Thanks Alex, I forgot all about them, will search for the HDD jumper diagram.