PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Switching from AMD to Intel

Monker1980
September 30th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Hi,

This might be a stupid question, but I'm planing to change the motherboard and processor in my Ubuntu box from an AMD x64 setup to an Intel x64, leaving everything else except the motherboard, processor and RAM the same. Will I need to do anything to my Ubuntu installation to keep things working?

I know on Windows it makes no difference, but just wondered if the linux kernels are compiled specifically for different processors. I want to avoid a headache if at all possible!

Thanks.

tommcd
September 30th, 2009, 12:16 PM
You will likely have to reinstall Windows if you switch motherboards and CPUs. Windows doesn't like that.

The linux kernel includes drivers for both AMD and intel CPUs and motherboard chipsets. So your Ubuntu install should just boot right up.

Just out of curiosity, what motherboard and CPU are you planning on using?

falconindy
September 30th, 2009, 02:16 PM
Careful when you switch motherboards, you might need to change your RAM as well.

Monker1980
September 30th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah I'm switching to an Intel i7 920, on an ASRock x58 Supercomputer board. The reason I'm switching is I need 12GB of RAM, so that's being changed too.

tommcd
October 1st, 2009, 09:10 AM
In case you didn't see it, here is a review of the Asrock X58 Supercomputer at Phoronix, a linux hardware site:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=asrock_x58&num=1