PDA

View Full Version : Linux MCSA equivalent

Chrus
September 30th, 2009, 10:40 AM
So I started working towards getting my MCSA this week (70-270). Having a great time so far. But I keep finding myself thinking "how would I do that with linux?"

Is there some sort of equivalent course I could do with linux? Self study and cheap would be good. Just kinda after options and ideas at the moment.

Cheers

amitabhishek
September 30th, 2009, 10:44 AM
RHCE (http://www.redhat.com/certification/rhce/)?

Странник
September 30th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Lpi

gnomeuser
September 30th, 2009, 11:58 AM
RHCE is the only game in town worth exploring. It's sadly expensive to take the classes and the test is hard (most people fail the first time). That is also what makes it good, you know that it's not a rubberstamp when you get certified you have something real to take with you.

szymon_g
September 30th, 2009, 12:07 PM
LPI-C level 1/2 + RHCT/RHCE

it would be hard to find anything better than this combination. unfortunatelly, rhc* exams are expensive :~

jaxxstorm
September 30th, 2009, 12:23 PM
RHCE is the only game in town worth exploring. It's sadly expensive to take the classes and the test is hard (most people fail the first time). That is also what makes it good, you know that it's not a rubberstamp when you get certified you have something real to take with you.

Calling the RHCE hard is an understatement, its ridiculously hard.

Chrus
September 30th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the replies... something to look into in the future. Looks a little too costly for now.

I'm still at the point where linux is more of a hobby than a career. I was kinda hoping for something I could do at home (online or text book) in my spare time and still come out the other end with enough knowledge to pass an exam and get a shiny piece of paper. But by the sounds of it, I would need to go somewhere to do a course for RHCT to get the most out of it?

szymon_g
September 30th, 2009, 12:55 PM
you can learn for LPI-C at home, they published quite nice book covering the most important/hard topics. there are 2 editions, buy most recent one. it costs about 20-30 pounds, but it is worth its price. alternativelly, you can get it 'from internet' (but i dont recommend it, its much better to have 'a real book' instead of ebook).
for RHCT/RHCE (red hat certificate technician and/or engineer) - i would recommend (costly) course, unless you have got a lot of experience. you can pay only for examination, but- without course and/or *a lot of* experience, it wouldnt be successful (unless you are lucky ;p). and for it, i'd recommend running fedora (or centos) at main machine, to familiarise with redhatoids.

openfly
September 30th, 2009, 02:53 PM
RHCE is easy.

And really probably not worth the effort.

I'd suggest going with ITIL or something.