PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] problem with grub

adramalech
September 30th, 2009, 06:53 AM
okay so this is how my hard drive partitions are setup...

/dev/sda1 <--- windows format ntfs
/dev/sda4<-- extended partition
- /dev/sda5 <--- ubuntu 9.04 server format ext4
- /dev/sda6 <--- swap

now i am wanting to be able to boot my server but are unable to make it boot by setting boot flag and i used to have ubuntu 9.04 desktop as a primary and i then deleted it and vista to make one parition for windows 7 but my issue is damn windows boot manager took over and it won't allow me to boot into my server...

any ideas should i try and just switch boot managers but booting to live cd and then installing grub....i tried this but i get bios error.... i am trying to install it on /dev/sda1 my windows 7 partition.......

also, i went to find where /boot/grub/stage1 is at in it says (hd0,4)...

any help would be greatly appreciated

shredder12
September 30th, 2009, 10:38 AM
I think you are having trouble with the final "setup" command..
The most basic way is to overwrite your MBR..
for that you need to use

setup(hd0)

for more info on restoring grub..
read this..
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows#Restoring%2 0GRUB

adramalech
September 30th, 2009, 05:26 PM
thanks alot when i get home today i am sure to give it a try i really thought maybe it was my error in syntax...:lolflag:

adramalech
October 6th, 2009, 08:22 AM
okay sooo i have fixed my last issue and now i am having to deal with another one....same idea though

i have just made these changes to my laptop:
/dev/sda1 - ntfs windows vista
/dev/sda2 - ntfs windows vista recovery
/dev/sda3 - ext4 ubuntu 9.04 amd64
/dev/sda4 - extended
/dev/sda5 - linux/swap (logical)
/dev/sda6 - ext4 <-- gentoo amd64 (logical)

now i need to update my grub so that either the new gentoo install gets added on to my already grub mbr for ubuntu 9.04...meaning installing a logical parition to be recognized by grub...

or i uninstall grub off of ubuntu and install on gentoo...

my issue is that gentoo distro is on a logical partition but no matter how many times i tell grub: root (hd0,6) it tells me nothing found!!!

any help would be of great help since i spent 4 hours custom building my gentoo distro from scratch....the only way i can do anything with the gentoo side is if i chroot into it through ubuntu and then mount the three things to chroot the root the boot and (i forget) something else)

if no one knows of a way for me to do this then...is there a way for me to make gentoo a primary partition without having to lose all the data???

shredder12
October 7th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I think its jst a slight error..
when you say hd0, it means you are referring to the whole hard disk..
similarly..
(hd0,0) -> /dev/sda1
(hd0,1) -> /dev/sda2
(hd0,5) -> /dev/sda6
(hd0,6) -> /dev/sda7

so basically you are trying to access /dev/sda7 which doesn't exist..
use (hd0,5) instead.
I hope it works..