PDA

View Full Version : virtual desktop not working

infernox
September 30th, 2009, 05:59 AM
I am a newbie on this so excuse the n00b question. I have 2 successful install of Ubuntu on a Dell and Ubuntu NBR for my newly acquired ASUS 1005HA. The problem that I had is that when I tried to switch desktops on my ASUS with a CTRL+ALT+Left Arrow (or Right, Up, Down keys), the virtual desktops don't show up. Works great on my Dell. Can anyone tell me how to resolve this? Thanks.

ooburns
October 1st, 2009, 03:24 AM
Did you have any open windows when you tried? If desktop effects aren't enabled, the virtual desktops will switch instantly with no visual feedback, so if there aren't any open windows, you won't be able to tell it worked.

If that's not the problem, add the pager applet to a panel and see if you can switch using that.

infernox
October 1st, 2009, 05:49 AM
Yes, thanks for the response. I can switch if I use the applet but my keyboard shortcut doesn't work. I tried the Windows key+E causing it to zoom out. I tried CTRL+LEFT or RIGHT and nothing. What function should I look for in the keyboard shortcut setting?

coldReactive
October 1st, 2009, 04:15 PM
Yes, thanks for the response. I can switch if I use the applet but my keyboard shortcut doesn't work. I tried the Windows key+E causing it to zoom out. I tried CTRL+LEFT or RIGHT and nothing. What function should I look for in the keyboard shortcut setting?

Your desktop effects are enabled then.

Install ccsm, and find compizconfig settings manager after you install. In CCSM, there should be an option called Desktop Wall enabled. If it's not enabled, enable it or rotate cube.

Keep in mind that if you have desktops that are on more than one row, CRTL+ALT+UP and CRTL+ALT+DOWN will NOT work with rotate cube.

Also, the keyboard shortcuts are CRTL+ALT+Arrow Button and NOT CRTL+Arrow Button.

infernox
October 2nd, 2009, 02:39 AM
Thanks for the help. Sorry to be just a n00b. I did exactly as you mentioned and I have CCSM running. The problem is that when i press CTRL+ATL+Left / Right, nothing happens. Seems like my keyboard shortcut is not programmed properly. Do you know what the function name I should look for?