PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] New kernel problem, need help.

jessiebrownjr
September 30th, 2009, 02:45 AM
I accidentally posted this first in the tutorial thread so moderators, sorry, delete it if it posts :-)

Ok now, I followed the master kernel post to make a new kernel and Im having a problem seeing it in grub.

My system is as follows..

Backtrack 4, Ubuntu 9.04, and Vista.

I edited my menu.lst file earlier to make it "prettier" and I was on my ubuntu distro when I did this.. it didn't change anything, so then I loaded backtrack, did it there, and edited THAT menu.lst... well that one worked!

Ok now. I made the kernel, compiled it, rebooted etc. Grub wasn't listing my install.. So I googled, tried "update-grub" command.. I saw it list the new install.. I rebooted, once again, nothing was effected..

Did the same thing with the backtrack 4 distro. the update-grub command acted diff though, and said it found a new version etc gave me a text based GUI, I chose install new... rebooted, didn't see anything new either.. and NOW im lost..

Now what?

If you see this msg is recent to you, ill be on for a few hours checking the post to see if anything is updated, or feel free to PM me!

jessiebrownjr
September 30th, 2009, 09:37 PM
my boot folder in the linux distro has 3 kernels, but the new one is missing an "abi" file and a VM core info file. Whats wrong with this picture?

jessiebrownjr
October 2nd, 2009, 12:31 AM
Come on, nobody here has experience with this :-(?