PDA

View Full Version : Are you looking forward to Gnome Shell?

mazz0
September 30th, 2009, 12:46 AM
How are people looking forward to Gnome 3 and Gnome Shell then? I couldn't get it to install myself, so I can't give it a try, but from the videos it looks to me like change for changes sake, with no usability justification, and the downside of disabling Compiz! So, my vote is a big no at the moment, but I will of course give it a try, hopefully I't'll blow me away and I'll never want to go back :)

starcannon
September 30th, 2009, 12:48 AM
I'm waiting for it to release. But I am definitely looking forward to what the Gnome Team has in store for us. It's currently my DE of choice, and if they keep their vision, I'm guessing its only going to keep getting better.

Vostrocity
September 30th, 2009, 12:48 AM
I haven't tried it or been following it much. But despite what people say about it, I'm a sucker for anything new. :)

mazz0
September 30th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Anyone know why my poll is closed? I just created it but it's closed straight away...

mazz0
September 30th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Oh, it's happy now! :)

dragos240
September 30th, 2009, 12:52 AM
Anyone know why my poll is closed? I just created it but it's closed straight away...

Really? I just voted on it! Anyways I think it's a terrible idea! No more compiz!

hoppipolla
September 30th, 2009, 12:55 AM
I'm a KDE dooood but I'll give this a bash yeah :)

Looks a bit gimmicky (which is probably why a lot of people aren't big on it), but it might spice up the desktop a bit. I hope it's optional =S

j.bell730
September 30th, 2009, 12:57 AM
Forgot option: "Wtf is Gnome Shell?"

Jesus_Valdez
September 30th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Hell yeah! Most awsome idea EVAR!

coldReactive
September 30th, 2009, 01:07 AM
Sorry, I'll be switching to KDE, LXDE or XFCE.

misfitpierce
September 30th, 2009, 02:24 AM
It looks pretty nifty and it looks to be very useful as I voted... I chose that because I cant be 100% sure and hope you are not forced to use the gnome shell if you don't want but it looks like for multi-tasking that it has alot of power!

jrusso2
September 30th, 2009, 02:28 AM
I dislike gnome, hopes more people come to see the KDE light.

I hate that everything starts with G

kevCast
September 30th, 2009, 02:34 AM
Sceptical, very sceptical.

Mateo
September 30th, 2009, 02:35 AM
I haven't been blown away by the demo videos, but it is an opportunity to innovate the desktop, so of course i will give it a shot.

korin43
September 30th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Gets a big "meh" from me. I'll definitely try it once it's stable, but I'm not really excited about it..

kk0sse54
September 30th, 2009, 02:37 AM

As opposed to everything starting with K? :p

jrusso2
September 30th, 2009, 02:38 AM
As opposed to everything starting with K? :p

It was supposed to be a joke cause each time there is a KDE 4 thread some gnome user has to say this.

steev182
September 30th, 2009, 02:39 AM

Even Gravy?!

wojox
September 30th, 2009, 02:43 AM
I downloaded and compiled it. Piece of junk. Reminded me to much of kde.

j.bell730
September 30th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Meh, all the things that I've seen from the videos can already be done with just the Expo plugin in Compiz. If there's any more depth to Gnome Shell than just that, then the videos didn't show it.

drawkcab
September 30th, 2009, 03:02 AM
I'll give it a try but I don't really see what it offers or what problems it solves. I hope it doesn't distract developers from improving gnome more generally.

SunnyRabbiera
September 30th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Meh on Gnome shell, it seems to offer nothing.

Boom!!!
September 30th, 2009, 03:23 AM
Too early to say, I should try it first.

stwschool
September 30th, 2009, 04:47 AM
From what I've seen it looks very cool. It brings something new to the table that Mac and Windows don't have, and doing things in its own way. That's kinda important you know!

stwschool
September 30th, 2009, 04:50 AM
EDIT: Posted in wrong thread

Amstell
September 30th, 2009, 05:29 AM
It doesn't look usable to me. Why do I need to click in the upper left hand corner to display my desktops when I can use expo with compiz to do the same effect. The ability to search programs and load them onto different desktops doesn't make it seem more usable.

Gnome-Do + Compiz = Great Usabilty

Regenweald
September 30th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Aside from the interface, i have no real interest in workspaces, The Shell offers a leaner code base, removal of old and obsolete libraries, A new compositing engine, new toolkit, and a new way of file management via Zeitgiest. So i'm excited.

hanzomon4
September 30th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Not really.. I tried it and it seems to be centered around workspaces. I have better functionality with compiz+gnome-do. That said I won't shoot an fetus, but I'm not going setup a crib with pink ponies just yet.

coldReactive
September 30th, 2009, 06:35 AM
I've switched to Xubuntu now because of the GNOME-Shell that will come in the future, so you can tell what my position on it is. :(

Exodist
September 30th, 2009, 08:37 AM
I will be going KDE also.. Everytime I look at the gnome shell videos I get heartburn..

[h2o]
September 30th, 2009, 08:38 AM
It doesn't look usable to me. Why do I need to click in the upper left hand corner to display my desktops when I can use expo with compiz to do the same effect.

Moving the mouse to the upper left corner opens the overlay. So it is basically the same as expo. There should also be a hotkey that opens the overlay without having to use the mouse.

NoaHall
September 30th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Ubuntu is the distro that most newbies use. So Ubuntu would be silly to add in something which doesn't look anything like windows.

But I like the idea behind gnome 3, I'd rather keep compiz and my dock for the main, and just have that as a extra.

ctrlmd
September 30th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Sorry, I'll be switching to KDE, LXDE or XFCE.
this

credobyte
September 30th, 2009, 10:37 AM
Personally, if they'll start replacing stable things with something new and probably, unstable, I'll just need to switch to XFCE or Openbox.

lovinglinux
September 30th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Compiz and Gnome Shell. Gnome is suggesting something really dumb. (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1114918)

marchwarden
September 30th, 2009, 02:34 PM
;8029275']Moving the mouse to the upper left corner opens the overlay. So it is basically the same as expo. There should also be a hotkey that opens the overlay without having to use the mouse.

There is, I think it is the super (windows) key, IIRC.