PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Problems/Failures

bgandy
September 30th, 2009, 12:35 AM
I am on day three trying to install Ubuntu server. So far I have tried the following:

Downloaded file, checked MD5, Burned Disc.
Checked disc, started install.
Install failed during te base package install.

I have since re-burned the disc 3 times, and it suffers similar filures.

This time I burned the disc at 2x, and the install made it to installing the software, then failed. I figured I could install the needed packages later, so I continued. It also failed trying to install GRUB and LILO.
As a test I have installed Ubuntu minimum install, added a GUI, firefox, and Open Office and it worked fine.

I was really needing the server version as I am wanting to utilize the LAMP Server, Email server and other features, but it almost seems like an impossible task at this point.

Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

scrooge_74
September 30th, 2009, 12:42 AM
It all sounds like burner issue, do you have another cd brand you could use? I had trouble in the past with RW disks that wont let me burn again in some brands.

Maybe try another burner program?

If you have a minimal install, you could go from there and install apps for server

bgandy
September 30th, 2009, 01:25 AM
I have been burning the discs from my laptop running Vista and using infrarecorder. I have tried a different brand of discs. All are CD-R No RW.

I will try using another computer.

Where would I get the additional packages. I mainly need the LAMP Servee and EMAIL.

Thanks

scrooge_74
September 30th, 2009, 01:41 AM
all packages are in the repositories it dosent matter if you are running server or desktop, they are there for you to use

Try another PC that dosent have Vista on it, I dont trust that OS ;)

Check the ubuntu pocket guide (http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/download_main.html)for more info

bgandy
September 30th, 2009, 02:51 AM
I am going to try to burn it on an XP Machine. I do not to much care for Vista myself.

If it does not work I will start over with the minimum install and add the packages.

Thanks for the help, I will post back if it does not work.

bgandy
September 30th, 2009, 07:36 AM
I re burned the cd on my XP machine and it worked great. My server is up and running.

Thanks for the help.

It is amazing that the cd drive could cause all of the problems I have hade.

Thanks Again,

Billy Gandy

scrooge_74
September 30th, 2009, 01:14 PM
Glad to hear it, I guess the CD rom on that Vista Machine could have some issues (I dont want to blame VISTA but .....)

I myself had issues a few times downloading ubuntu using explorer then it would work fine using firefox. I wonder why....