PDA

View Full Version : Price for a second-hand laptop?

AlanQ
September 29th, 2009, 11:54 PM
I accidentally (long story) came into possession of a friend's laptop.
She has told me to keep it and that she doesn't want anything for it.
I'm happy to keep it, but must in fairness pay her the market price.

So, what's a Dell Inspiron 2200 currently worth?

CPU: 1.5GHz Celeron (M)
RAM: 512 MiB
GPU: Intel 915GM
HD: 40GB
DVD: NEC ND-6650A DVD+-RW

Thanks
Alan

NovaAesa
September 29th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I would say it couldn't be worth anything much more than 50AUD.

overdrank
September 29th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I would say $75-$100. Depending how close of a friend. :)

starcannon
Looks like about $200 U.S.
http://computers.shop.ebay.com/PC-Laptops-Netbooks-/177/i.html?_nkw=Inspiron+2200&_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

gamerchick02
I'd probably give no more than $150 for it.

*shrug*

I asked for $175 for an old laptop that I replaced a hard drive in and did a reinstall of windows and install of other apps. Was for a friend, so I didn't charge her a lot for it.

Amy

Frak
September 30th, 2009, 12:00 AM
$60, close friend, $80.

Mobil1
September 30th, 2009, 12:03 AM
I'd say UK about £100 +/- probably easiest thing to do is maybe just buy her a gift back then no-one gets embaressed about swapping cash for gifts :)

Jesus_Valdez
September 30th, 2009, 12:03 AM
If she's a friend and already said that dont want anything from the laptop, maybe you could "pay" her buying her a dinner or a couple of beers.

NoaHall
September 30th, 2009, 12:07 AM
If she's a friend, you wouldn't buy her beers.

And I'd say about £70

Jesus_Valdez
September 30th, 2009, 12:29 AM
I buy beers for my friends, I don't care about the gender.

HappyFeet
September 30th, 2009, 01:47 AM
Just take her out to dinner and stop being ridiculous. I get pissed off when I tell someone I don't want money, but they keep on insisting. I wind up telling them to get me a bottle of vodka or something. Don't be pigheaded about it.

sideaway
September 30th, 2009, 02:39 AM
The problem is, if you take her to dinner and one thing leads to another... and she thanks you in an intimate way. You're straight back at square one! Except maybe possibly in a slightly better position :P

AlanQ
September 30th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Great set of replies. Cheers, guys -- I now have a good ball-park.

starcannon:
Thanks for the link. I did search ebay but didn't find that.

HappyFeet:
Well said, but the situation is not quite right for that approach.

sideaway:
Likewise. But I like your thinking :D

Alan

NoaHall
September 30th, 2009, 10:29 PM
I buy beers for my friends, I don't care about the gender.

Then you're not a good friend.

vvfrn
September 30th, 2009, 10:31 PM
140$ for a good friend and 120$ a friend

LowSky
September 30th, 2009, 10:36 PM
Then you're not a good friend.

](*,)

What? Taking a friend out for a good time and buying them a few drinks and/or a meal is a perfectly acceptable way to offer payment without directly giving them money, regardless of gender.

Frak
September 30th, 2009, 10:41 PM
](*,)

What? Taking a friend out for a good time and buying them a few drinks and/or a meal is a perfectly acceptable way to offer payment without directly giving them money, regardless of gender.
I agree. I value a cold beer with a friend over money any day.

NoaHall
September 30th, 2009, 10:43 PM
So you like causing your friends to get cancer, heart disease, and die younger? Great. Sounds brill.

BoyOfDestiny
September 30th, 2009, 10:51 PM
So you like causing your friends to get cancer, heart disease, and die younger? Great. Sounds brill.

Um, I think you've fallen for some sort of trick.

...studies show that drinking beer in moderation (up to 2 drinks a day for us guys) can and will reduce your chances of strokes, as well as heart and vascular disease.
http://www.askmen.com/sports/foodcourt/45_eating_well.html

You can do the research yourself.

Only taken in excess can it be truly harmful. This applies to water as well. :P

NoaHall
September 30th, 2009, 10:53 PM
You obviously know nothing of the human body, of the effects of alcoholic drinks, and by using askmen as a source to prove your point, you obviously know nothing of reliable sources.

BoyOfDestiny
September 30th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Right, and providing no source makes you all knowing and brilliant.

I just googled for the quickest reference.
What source do you find reliable?

I'll go find it for you if you can't yourself.

Feel free to point to a contrary "reliable" study.

Here are some cited by BBC News
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8201899.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/727912.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3266819.stm

hetx
September 30th, 2009, 10:56 PM
I still wouldn't assume my friends were trying to kill me if they bought me a beer...

Mehall
September 30th, 2009, 11:01 PM
NoaHall, many many people (probably most people in the western world) like at the very least the occasional drink, so your insistence that it's not something a good friend would do holds no point.

Most all of my friends would value me going over to their houses with a few beers/bottle of wine/Jack D and miers over me giving them £20 or something.

I buy a little bit of booze, phone in some pizzas or curry, and we have a laugh, perhaps play Mario Kart or, depending on how drunk, Twister ;) and then we have a great laugh and nothing is owed to either person.

I'm not going to say your values are wrong, much like I wouldn't say that to a Vegan, but please, don't try and push your values onto us.

Mehall
September 30th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I still wouldn't assume my friends were trying to kill me if they bought me a beer...

Look out!

HE'S GOT A BEER!!!!!!!!!

EDIT@ apologies for doublepost

NoaHall
September 30th, 2009, 11:08 PM
@BoyOfDestiny

Those are all out of date, and it causes much more damage to drink alcohol than it does good. Try reading the latest medical journals - you'll find all that nonsense is out of date and unproven.

@hetx

Haha :)

@Mehall

I'm sick and tired of these people getting drunk and causing damage to everything and everyone around them. If they want to drink, fine, do it, but make sure you're in a locked room beforehand...
(P.S, I don't have any values, only what I know, and then applying them to a situation. )
(P.P.S, I do know that vegans are again causing themselves major damage, ever heard of someone who can't physically eat/drink something because they are vegan? That's what you get for eating the wrong foods.)

BoyOfDestiny
September 30th, 2009, 11:15 PM
@BoyOfDestiny

Those are all out of date, and it causes much more damage to drink alcohol than it does good. Try reading the latest medical journals - you'll find all that nonsense is out of date and unproven.

Thank you for the reply, even the one from August 2009 is out of date?

Which Medical Journal do you claim debunks it?

I get NEJM, my father has full access to a plethora of medical journals and sites.

I'd like to believe you that the cost outweighs the benefit, but just saying it isn't true unilaterally and without examples isn't helping convince me.

It's worth mentioning many med journals offer a "free abstract". If you could just provide a couple of examples that would be great.

NoaHall
September 30th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Yes, indeed it is out of date - well, at least reported wrong.

Sigh. Next you'll be telling me that smoking "keeps away the cold" and putting lead on your face makes you look young.
When you make my hat, please don't use mercury, for your sake, not mine.

I get the BMJ, EMJ, and when I see my girlfriend, I get the Läkartidningen from her.

szymon_g
September 30th, 2009, 11:39 PM
take her to cinema and to dinner. you both will spend time nicely, and you will get a quite nice laptop.

BoyOfDestiny
September 30th, 2009, 11:44 PM
Yes, indeed it is out of date - well, at least reported wrong.

Sigh. Next you'll be telling me that smoking "keeps away the cold" and putting lead on your face makes you look young.
When you make my hat, please don't use mercury, for your sake, not mine.

I get the BMJ, EMJ, and when I see my girlfriend, I get the Läkartidningen from her.

Again, thank you for the reply.

I just want to see a proper study that invalidates these reported ones. Or an example of how the data is being misrepresented in these news reports. I'm genuinely interested here, it may be obvious to you, but to me it seems quite reasonable that alcohol in small amounts has health benefits and is quantifiable.

Just provide 1 example and skip the rhetoric and strawmen please (mad hatter and mercury etc.)

If you really care about people's health, I'd really like to see this information from a source. An article title will do.

You should hold yourself to the same standard you expect from others when dealing with contrary information.