PDA

View Full Version : SUSE Studio

Nburnes
September 29th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I actually don't know if this has been posted before, but I found a tool a little like Remastersys Tool.

Its call SUSE Studio and it allows you to build an entire custom distro without having to install anything. You build in inside your browser then can test from within it.

Would be quite nice if Ubuntu had something like this instead of having to go to all the many different distro sites.

http://susestudio.com/

jmszr
September 29th, 2009, 11:37 PM
This is in Lifehacker today: http://lifehacker.com/5370209/use-suse-studio-to-build-a-linux-os-from-scratch . The article gives an explanation and links.

Nburnes
September 29th, 2009, 11:46 PM
That's where I read it at :P

Frak
September 29th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Been using it for a couple of months now. Incredibly useful.

Nburnes
September 29th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Been using it for a couple of months now. Incredibly useful.
How long did it take you to receive an invite code?

Frak
September 29th, 2009, 11:51 PM
How long did it take you to receive an invite code?
3 weeks during a low period.

Nburnes
September 29th, 2009, 11:53 PM
3 weeks during a low period.
Dang hahaha I was hopen for something like LifeHackers 10 min......:(

Frak
September 29th, 2009, 11:55 PM
Dang hahaha I was hopen for something like LifeHackers 10 min......:(
Did you write a message on the box? I told them I was an IT Director that needed a faster way to build custom server distributions. You could try that. If you don't write a message, you could not get an invite altogether.

Nburnes
September 30th, 2009, 01:17 AM
Did you write a message on the box? I told them I was an IT Director that needed a faster way to build custom server distributions. You could try that. If you don't write a message, you could not get an invite altogether.

I wrote that I was a long time user of Linux and a beginning developer who is looking to expand his knowledge.

Which is true btw.

gnomeuser
September 30th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I've been an active user for about 5 months. It's a fantastic tool, it's only problem really is that you are forced to build on top of SuSE or SLE* which do not have the cleanest packages. It's bound to pull in a bunch of unwanted dependencies.

However the UI and especially the ability to boot test the image, tweak it as a running system that is killer functionality.

dragos240
September 30th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Hmm..... there is a topic in this very forum about this. :p