PDA

View Full Version : This is how to do a build service.

Visceral Monkey
September 29th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Just found out about this: Suse has a online service that lets you build your own distro by selecting what exactly you want in it and then lets you download it. Ubuntu should look into something like this:

http://lifehacker.com/5370209/use-suse-studio-to-build-a-linux-os-from-scratch?skyline=true&s=x

ranch hand
September 30th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I don't think that we need to stoop to getting ideas from a company that has agreements with MS.

hikaricore
September 30th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Doesn't really belong in the Karmic forum..

Elfy
September 30th, 2009, 08:09 AM
moved to cafe

tom66
September 30th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I don't think that we need to stoop to getting ideas from a company that has agreements with MS.

So if an idea is "tainted" by a foe, you can't use it?

Squonk07
September 30th, 2009, 09:01 AM

Ad hominem. The idea itself has absolutely no association with Microsoft and should stand on its own merit. The GUIs of virtually all Linux variants contain windows and symbolic icons. Are these bad ideas, too?

koshatnik
September 30th, 2009, 09:12 AM

Haha

You're not being serious are you?

xArv3nx
September 30th, 2009, 09:18 AM
wtf? :confused:

-grubby
September 30th, 2009, 09:20 AM

Hello Boycott Novell!

As for the build service; yes, that does look like a cool idea.

slakkie
September 30th, 2009, 09:38 AM
You have something like that. It is called mini.iso.

Bachstelze
September 30th, 2009, 10:52 AM

Thanks for the Godwin-like point.

knarf
September 30th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I don't think that we need to stoop to getting ideas from a company that has agreements with MS.That has got to be one of the most senseless comments I've seen on this board. First of all this has nothing to do with Microsoft, second this has been done by many other projects before OpenSUSE started doing it (have a look at Slax (http://www.slax.org/) for an example of this), third even if Microsoft had anything to do with it (which they don't, see #1) who cares? It is not as if they have a patent on it. And even if they had I would ignore it as I live in a civilized country where such patents are null and void.

Please don't let your animosity versus Microsoft (or any other company) rob you of your senses. That is not a strength but a weakness which can be exploited by those companies.

tcoffeep
September 30th, 2009, 03:55 PM

lol. I think that's all that can be said about your statement.

Anyways, I think this is a great way to open linux up to more people. Or at least help people customize linux to their needs. Good on Suse.

Xbehave
September 30th, 2009, 04:28 PM
CBA to sign up
how does this compare to slax (http://www.slax.org/)?
I use slax to make liveCDs, it was real simple to use and a complete saviour when i needed to login to a broken install that used LVM and had no screen (i have no idea how else i could have done it)

@rach hand/boycott novell, please troll elsewhere i accept open source tools from anybody!