PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Default to "Always on Visible Workspace"?

Jackelope King
September 29th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Is there any easy way to set up a launcher so that the program it launches is automatically set to be "always on visible workspace"? For instance, I like to have Pidgin open on all my workspaces, but I'd like to save myself a few seconds every day from having to manually set "always on visible workspace" each time.

TapocoL
October 28th, 2009, 07:06 PM
bump ^^. Very interested in this.

mcduck
October 28th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Not in the launcher itself, but if you use Compiz you can use the Window Rules-plugin to do exactly that.

If you don't use Compiz, then Devilspie should be able to do this kind of things for you.

opto09
November 8th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Not in the launcher itself, but if you use Compiz you can use the Window Rules-plugin to do exactly that.

If you don't use Compiz, then Devilspie should be able to do this kind of things for you.
Thanks mcduck! I've been wanting to do this with Evolution for awhile now. In case anyone's wondering about the details, you need to have CompizConfig installed (it should appear under System->Preferences). Select the Window Rules button, then check use Window Rules. To set a window to open in the current workspace, use the 'sticky' option. Click the plus symbol to add a window then click grab and select the window you want to make sticky. Easy peasy! This is why I love Ubuntu!

AldenIsZen
November 18th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Roger that, works well! I have repped you mcduck and opto09.

edit/ I guess you can't give rep anymore.

kfhughes
January 15th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I know this is an old thread, but it's a problem that has resurfaced for me.

I run gkrellm and have always had it set to start upon login, displaying on the right side of each visible workspace. It's been set up this way for years. Recently I created a second account on the same machine and cannot get metacity to remember this when I log in; it always puts gkrellm on the first workspace on the upper left. So obviously it can be remembered, but I can't find where in the original account's configuration files this information is saved.

kfhughes
January 15th, 2011, 08:15 PM

I run gkrellm and have always had it set to start upon login, displaying on the right side of each visible workspace. It's been set up this way for years. Recently I created a second account on the same machine and cannot get metacity to remember this when I log in; it always puts gkrellm on the first workspace on the upper left. So obviously it can be remembered, but I can't find where in the original account's configuration files this information is saved.

kfhughes
January 15th, 2011, 08:16 PM

AldenIsZen
January 15th, 2011, 09:07 PM

I run gkrellm and have always had it set to start upon login, displaying on the right side of each visible workspace. It's been set up this way for years. Recently I created a second account on the same machine and cannot get metacity to remember this when I log in;...

Maybe look here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=557128)?

kfhughes
January 15th, 2011, 10:10 PM
Maybe look here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=557128)?

Thanks, looked there but everything it lists seems to require adding a new app to do this. It already works with the old configuration, so I just want to know where to look to duplicate that.

Also, sorry for the multiple posts; the server stopped responding while posting so didn't realize it had already been transmitted.

dervih
February 24th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Install devilspie - application defining rules for windows.
I have it under XFCE and it works great.
Moreover it is not a window manager, just a small demon.