PDA

View Full Version : Decent/cheap remote that is fully supported and works out of the box?

dfinn
September 29th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I've been having some trouble getting the remote to work that came with my PVR-150. I'm looking to pick up a new remote. What's a good, yet fairly inexpensive remote that will work out of the box with my 9.04 Mythbuntu install?

edit: is there a good wireless keyboard with built in trackpad that I should be considering instead? This needs to be girlfriend friendly.

fenian
September 29th, 2009, 11:27 PM
I use this remote (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880121003&cm_re=remote_control-_-80-121-003-_-Product) works. out of the box

sabre2th
September 30th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I use this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880121001&cm_re=anyware_remote-_-80-121-001-_-Product

It seems to be functionally identical to the one above, just a different shape and color.

Edit: If I were doing it again, I'd try to buy a learning remote (neither of these are) so I wouldn't have to use a separate one to turn on the TV. They generally cost more, but might be worth it if you're looking for friendly.

nzsouthernman
October 1st, 2009, 02:26 AM
I've had lots of success with the Microsoft Media Center remotes. Works no problem out of the box. Once you've got the USB receiver you can replace the remote with a Logitech Harmony remote and control everything from one device. You just tell the Harmony software that it's talking to a Microsoft Media center PC and Myth works sweet.

Lepy
October 1st, 2009, 06:52 AM
Chalk me up as another satisfied customer of the MCE remote and receiver. The setup requires 1.) plug in the usb receiver and 2.) select the proper remote from the myth control center.

If you happen to have a universal remote, as nzsouthernman said, setting up one up afterwards is really very simple. It may only require another trip to the myth control center.

I'm using an MCE receiver with a Radioshack 15-2116 (a little tweaked in lirc, but it also has a preset in myth control center). It also works perfectly in mythtv as well as boxee and xbmc. I never have to leave the couch! Now if I could only get it to work with the logitech z5500 :confused:

roundhay
October 7th, 2009, 06:38 PM
I also looking for a remote. I have a Microsoft remote for my main PC but want one for a remote frontend. I can't find any sites still selling the microsoft remotes and the links in this thread are to American sites, I'm in the UK.

Does anyone know of remotes that are available in the UK that work out of the box?

I've tried ebay but there are not many available.

I need a receiver as well

benlyboy
October 8th, 2009, 02:38 AM
Hi I have found the Streamzap PC Remote Control good. Worked right out of the box

kadafi69
October 8th, 2009, 08:12 AM
I had the streamzap, and originally I thought it was ok, it 'worked' out of the box. But then I got a Philips SRM5100 far far better, excellent remote.

roundhay
October 8th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Does the Philips SRM5100 reciever work out of the box or does it require extra configuration?

Would this remote work? http://www.samuelking.com/products.asp?partno=00226