PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Text hard to read

cpeachey
September 29th, 2009, 05:38 PM
The text in some of my applications is hard to read .:confused:
The background is a dark grey and the text looks as if the is a light shining behind it.
eg
Wine...configure wine window:
Picassa...drop down menus
What do I need to change please?:cry:
Chris

undecim
September 30th, 2009, 02:57 AM
I think a screenshot would help. It might be a known graphical glitch that no one recognizes by your description, but a screenshot is worth 1024 words. (use the "prt sc" button to take a screen shot)

wojox
September 30th, 2009, 03:01 AM
You may want to try System > Preferences > Appearance > Fonts

cpeachey
September 30th, 2009, 09:00 AM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m33/ChrisPeachey/Text.jpg
When the image was copied the text became clearer, the original text looked as though it had a white outline or as if a light was shining behind it.
Chris

cpeachey
October 1st, 2009, 06:12 PM
I have tried changing various settings but none make any difference. The fonts and background shown in the screenshot above do not get changed with System/Preferences/Appearance.

Is it worth buying a new graphics card? I have an ATI X1300 with whatever driver Jaunty gave it. What would be a good card to buy? (I don't do games)

Chris:confused:

onyxwolf
October 1st, 2009, 09:36 PM
If it only happens on some apps and you REALLY like your theme, install compizconfig-system-settings and turn on Negative (under Accessibility) the default to initiate is like Super-m (I think just click on the name and it will bring up the options) and it will show the negative of your window! Works for me (I have the same problem but like me theme).