PDA

View Full Version : Themes? - looking for something different?

virtualu2
September 29th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Hi,
I love ubuntu and have used the default themes for a long time, but I am looking for something new.
I have checked out gnome-art but alot don't have info on how to install them, or are missing things like the fonts used, icons, etc.

Does anyone have any they want to share or links to good ones with all the details on setting them up?

IE: Which dock does it use, how to move the stuff around, etc?

Eestlane
September 29th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Shouldn't probably be in Karmic specific forums.

However, I haven't found any quality themes yet, except which are very popular already: Shiki Colors, Dust, etc ubuntu community themes.

I would like to see what people have made with their desktops as well, though.

meborc
September 29th, 2009, 04:40 PM
check out the monthly screenshot thread (here - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1254939) at community cafe... they have great examples there of what can be done with ubuntu

www.gnome-look.org is also a good place to go... click on GTK2, choose your favourite, download the .tar file and drag-drop it to the appearance window

berthiggins
September 29th, 2009, 06:42 PM
These are the best I have found so far..............

http://www.bisigi-project.org/?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=3&Itemid=14&lang=en

undecim
September 29th, 2009, 07:27 PM
From your appearance settings (The "Change Desktop Background" thing) go to the theme tab and select "install" find the .tar.gz you downloaded and see if it installs. If not, extract the archive and see if there is another tar.gz inside it (that could be the theme).

Also, the phrase "theme" can be a little ambiguous. GTK themes change how the windows, buttons, scrollbars, etc look; Metacity themes change your window border; Emerald themes do the same thing, but only if you have emerald installed.

Also, many theme files will include both GTK and Metacity themes in the same .tar.gz archive (all one file to install)

Hope that helps!

EDIT: BTW, I get my themes from http://gnome-look.org/

virtualu2
September 30th, 2009, 03:43 AM
Hi,
I see so many themes have a dock and like that idea. I have tried awn a bit, gnome-do, and read cairo was buggy.

Anyone using a dock in karmic and have suggestions on what is working well?

Also, what settings are best for the top panel in terms of when I remove the bottom panel to add a dock there, so that I can get the functions of the bottom dock in the top dock?

undecim
September 30th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Really, all that is user preference. Free and Open Source Software is all about being the best thing for YOU. You can make it do whatever you think will help you the most.

I made a policy for my desktop: Inconveniences should be rare.

Anytime I have an inconvenience (i.e. it takes more more than two clicks or 2 seconds to do what I want done) I either make a note of it, or fix it immediately. If I find that I install an application and I'm constantly typing into Gnome Do, I add a hotkey for it, etc. My overall desktop is rather minimal, but I can do everything quickly because I know how to best use my desktop.

Of course, this is just my preference and may not be suitable for you. What you want to do is decide what you want from a desktop. Speed? Eye Candy? Ease of Use? or something else?

For your top panel, just add what you think you will use. If you always switch to another workspace when you want to see your desktop, you probably don't need the "Show Desktop" button.

BTW: awn is the best dock I've gotten working in Karmic. simdock is another, more lightweight dock you might look at as well. As far as cairo being "buggy" I haven't really had any issues with it, but others have. You should try it out and see if it works for you.

I used wbar in fluxbox when I ran Archlinux (before drivers for my new laptop got to be too much of a hassle in Arch) and it worked well as a simple launcher, but I can't seem to get it working in Karmic.

EDIT: Using the -above-desk option in wbar makes it work fine!

meborc
September 30th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Hi,
I see so many themes have a dock and like that idea. I have tried awn a bit, gnome-do, and read cairo was buggy.

Anyone using a dock in karmic and have suggestions on what is working well?

Also, what settings are best for the top panel in terms of when I remove the bottom panel to add a dock there, so that I can get the functions of the bottom dock in the top dock?

what i would do is to follow this tutorial (only the awn part) http://mihirknows.blogspot.com/2009/05/turn-ubuntu-jaunty-into-mac-osx.html to set up the dock as a replacement for the bottom bar

but of course, you can configure it as you please... remove the bottom one and see what you are really missing... then add that feature to awn