PDA

View Full Version : I'm off to Hoary.

jdong
January 26th, 2005, 11:40 PM
Since I'm setting up a fancy RAID5 array next month, and would need a complete reinstall (probably Hoary) to do so, I figured that I might as well migrate the system to Hoary now. So, off I am to do so. I'll test the Backports-to-Hoary transition in the process... Already, I'm seeing sections that could need improvement in the guide.

jdodson
January 27th, 2005, 12:01 AM
Since I'm setting up a fancy RAID5 array next month, and would need a complete reinstall (probably Hoary) to do so, I figured that I might as well migrate the system to Hoary now. So, off I am to do so. I'll test the Backports-to-Hoary transition in the process... Already, I'm seeing sections that could need improvement in the guide.

the backports guide or ubuntuguide?

jdong
January 27th, 2005, 12:08 AM
The Backports "Upgrading To Hoary" guide, with the apt-show-version .... awk.... command. I'm finding it better to first upgrade to Hoary, then force all leftover backports to Hoary packages, rather than trying to "Roll back" backports to Warty, then upgrade everything to Hoary.

akurashy
January 27th, 2005, 02:36 AM
Good luck :D
and i hope this time hoary dont mess up my linux when you finish :D

Quest-Master
January 27th, 2005, 02:56 AM
I tried to upgrade to Hoary yesterday; totally killed my Ubuntu. No X, failed startups, and so on.

Did a full reinstall today, and won't touch Hoary till it is fully stable after last night's experience. :(

akurashy
January 27th, 2005, 04:35 AM
well quest i had the same problem
no X and startup problems >_<
and only a terminal

Randabis
January 27th, 2005, 04:35 AM
I tried to upgrade to Hoary yesterday; totally killed my Ubuntu. No X, failed startups, and so on.

Did a full reinstall today, and won't touch Hoary till it is fully stable after last night's experience. :(

Bummer. I have it running smoothly on 3 machines.

mark
January 27th, 2005, 04:52 AM
I've got Warty running smoothly and Hoary (Array 3) running semi-smoothly (dual-booting, thanks to grub - although the Hoary install initially clobbered my Warty grub entries...

I'm having some odd sound problems with Hoary (no sound on boot, have to diddle mute/unmute & volume settings via the Volume Control) & the Array 3 install enabled some apt repositories that apparently won't go "live" until the April release, but otherwise I'm encouraged. Things seem quite a bit quicker (boot, Web access (after I disabled IPv6)), just generally more responsive.

I plan on maintaining both installations until Der Tag in April. If I encounter any real problems, I'll try to post here (somewhere)....