View Full Version : best java compiler and Ide for ubuntu

Keevu
September 29th, 2009, 10:02 AM
links and name of best java compiler and ide for ubuntu thanks. :popcorn:

credobyte
September 29th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Sun Java JDK:

sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jdk sun-java6-fonts

IDE: NetBeans ( http://www.netbeans.org/ )

NovaAesa
September 29th, 2009, 10:06 AM
either that or try eclipse

Ubu-freak
September 29th, 2009, 03:44 PM
I don't personally like using an IDE. Using vim to write code is much faster.
To compile a file eg foo.java:

javac foo.javaTo run foo.class

java foo.class

chrisjsmith
September 29th, 2009, 04:59 PM
You can write code fast in Vim, but you can't do large refactoring easily, it doesn't understand the context of the language and it doesn't have decent integration with testing tools etc.

Eclipse works well on Ubuntu 9.04 with the standard sun JDK. (sun-java6-jdk)

Don't install eclipse using apt. Download it from http://eclipse.org/ and unpack it in ~/bin/eclipse - it just works.

Netbeans is seriously hyped IMHO and doesn't scale with your project. Eclipse has decent testing tools and does incremental compilation which saves an insane amount of time waiting for whole-project compliation to run or waiting for entire test suites to run.

Tortel
September 29th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I would also recommend eclipse. Its a very useful program and has many tools.
I believe that Netbeans is better for GUI development in Java, although it creates a complete mess of code.
But you should be familiar with the command line methods of compiling/running Java programs, as mentioned before, just in case you ever need to know them.

chrisjsmith
September 29th, 2009, 08:19 PM
But you should be familiar with the command line methods of compiling/running Java programs, as mentioned before, just in case you ever need to know them.

^^ listen to the wise man. Top tip!

mdmorrison
July 20th, 2010, 06:10 AM
I don't personally like using an IDE. Using vim to write code is much faster.
To compile a file eg foo.java:

javac foo.javaTo run foo.class

java foo.class

I've found that gedit included in Ubuntu is pretty good with the highlight modes for various languages. I've only just started messing around with Eclipse, and was dismayed by the amount of extraneous code (stubs) automatically inserted in the .java file.

navaneethan
July 20th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Shell is very good to learn step by step :-) we can get the completeness of learning .try in shell :-)

ja660k
July 20th, 2010, 06:36 AM
I agree, before using a fancy IDE learn the basics.
all you really need is gedit/vim/nano (whatever) and the compiler...

eclipse, its better for larger programs containing many classes and design patterns, because things are easier to manage.

netbeans, if your working on web/enterprise systems, i recommend netbeans
it has great support for J2EE and jsp :) also comes with its own tomcat,glassfish server... i guess thats why they call it NETbeans

evstevemd
July 20th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Use Simple editor/IDE and compiler and once you are conversant go for Netbeans/Eclipse/Idea. I prefer geany as lightweight IDE over gedit. You can open terminal right there and compile from commandline

Don't listen to old debate on Netbeans/Eclipse. It is likely to confuse new bees learning to fly :p