PDA

View Full Version : You last visited: June 26th, 2007 at 12:27 PM

nominal
September 29th, 2009, 08:38 AM
It's been a while for me.

I have used linux since then, don't worry. But I've been really honing my knowledge of the Windows world and I'm ready to make a full return back to ubuntu.

My college actually gives me windows 7 for free, so i'll be burning that to a DVD, as well as the latest ubuntu to a CD. It'll be a clean install on this laptop (after backing up my stuff). I'll need that opensource matlab app (forget the name), openoffice, and pidgin. I'll also need to somehow use my Zune...oh well. I'm gonna staple on that Beryl interface too. Firefox, naturally. VLC action too.

And yes, I'm posting here so that I can procrastinate even more (its 3:35 AM) on this five page essay due today.

What I'm trying to say is:

Hi, again.

wojox
September 29th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Yes I was about to say, it's 3:47 down here in Florida.

Welcome Back :)

misfitpierce
September 29th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Welcome back :p

wojox
September 29th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I guess nobody on the East Coast sleeps. :lolflag:

Exodist
September 29th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Welcome back!:popcorn:

Exodist
September 29th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I guess nobody on the East Coast sleeps. :lolflag:

Whats this sleep you speak of?

misfitpierce
September 29th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Whats this sleep you speak of?

Exactly...

nominal
September 29th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Of course not, though I should start this damn paper...ugh expository writing.

apparently I'm still using breezy 5.10 (aw...). I remember all the hate and hassle that went into installing it, connecting to the internet...webcam fails, Ataxx!, etc.

Exodist
September 29th, 2009, 09:01 AM
5.10 was a good distro.. I still think I got official CDs around here somewhere.. lol
It did have a few quirks tho.. 9.04 is good tho, but also dont forget 9.10 will be soon.

nominal
September 29th, 2009, 09:07 AM
5.10 was a good distro.. I still think I got official CDs around here somewhere.. lol
It did have a few quirks tho.. 9.04 is good tho, but also dont forget 9.10 will be soon.

soon?

i just spent 20 minutes downloading the image for 9.04. I didnt want to upgrade already.

Exodist
September 29th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Oct 29th release date for 9.10. So soon enough.. Side if 5.10 is working roll with it for another 3 or 4 weeks. :-)

I believe I actualy remember you years back.. I used to use the alias "Bandit".

nominal
September 29th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Oct 29th release date for 9.10. So soon enough.. Side if 5.10 is working roll with it for another 3 or 4 weeks. :-)

I believe I actualy remember you years back.. I used to use the alias "Bandit".

I just booted up an old PC with 5.10. It's smooth, it's charming, it's dusty. But it still works. I can still do a lot. Yet, I am still being told to install a myriad of updates. Tsk, tsk. Unnecessary.

Remember? Remember? How! "Scent is the strongest sense tied to memory..."

no way.

-grubby
September 29th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Wow, you don't see many members returning after a 2 year leave...

jflaker
September 29th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Welcome back....I think you will enjoy the current improvements as well as the ones coming up with the next release in a few weeks.

nominal
September 29th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Wow, you don't see many members returning after a 2 year leave...

therefore I am special?

:), i'm only joking, i'm not that arrogant (yet~~~?)

perhaps the forum should implement a feature similar to Wikipedia's "wikibreak" (I'm sure its under the GNU or something).

perhaps not.

Welcome back....I think you will enjoy the current improvements as well as the ones coming up with the next release in a few weeks.

I'm already envisioning the list of improvements from 5.10...its almost the length of that scroll of On the Road by Jack Kerouac.

Eisenwinter
September 29th, 2009, 12:14 PM
soon?

i just spent 20 minutes downloading the image for 9.04. I didnt want to upgrade already.
Wow, really? a whole 20 minutes?!

It takes me around 2 hours to download the core image of Arch, which is more than 2 times smaller than Ubuntu's standard image.

nominal
September 29th, 2009, 03:19 PM

It takes me around 2 hours to download the core image of Arch, which is more than 2 times smaller than Ubuntu's standard image.

yeah, bittorrent does wonders. i also upgraded my internet connection to fios recently.

Eisenwinter
September 29th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Of course. I'm sorry if my reply sounded arrogant or selfish in any way.

Sorry if you were offended.

Torrents do do (haha) wonders really, ;)

nowin4me
September 29th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Welcome back! :twisted::twisted::twisted:

steveneddy
September 29th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Beryl is no more.

It is Compiz-Fusion now - or maybe just Compiz.

It should be preinstalled and activated upon installation.

If you haven't seen Ubuntu in two years you may be pleasantly surprised.

HappyFeet
September 29th, 2009, 06:13 PM

20 minutes? Takes me about 6 minutes to download a 700mb file. But most of the time I use bittorrent and seed 24/7/365. I've already uploaded over 100 copies of jaunty.

Btw, welcome back nominal.

hyperdude111
September 29th, 2009, 07:23 PM
20 minutes? Takes me about 6 minutes to download a 700mb file. But most of the time I use bittorrent and seed 24/7/365. I've already uploaded over 100 copies of jaunty.

Btw, welcome back nominal.

6 Mins it takes me like 2 hours

nominal
September 30th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Of course. I'm sorry if my reply sounded arrogant or selfish in any way.

Sorry if you were offended.

Torrents do do (haha) wonders really, ;)

not at all, ha. the torrent idea actually gives way to another more radical file sharing method: if data was converted into mere number strings (hell, go hexidecimal on me), which were then compressed with an algorithm into a nice 32kb file. Why, those 700mb images would be transferred in no time.

Beryl is no more.

It is Compiz-Fusion now - or maybe just Compiz.

It should be preinstalled and activated upon installation.

If you haven't seen Ubuntu in two years you may be pleasantly surprised.

I'll install either tonight, or the weekend. I'll do my homework and look up Compiz. thanks