PDA

View Full Version : A question about linux.

blindbat1457
September 29th, 2009, 08:26 AM
What makes it so much better than Windows OS and/or Mac OS?

I know it is badass and is much better than Windows but what about Mac? Is it better than Mac's OS.

Like what are the benefits or pros and cons?

scheuri
September 29th, 2009, 08:30 AM
According to your post you were able to find out by yourself and by your own standards/tests that Linux (or/and Ubuntu) is, and I quote, badass.

So what keeps you back to take a look at MacOS X (a friends laptop maybe) and check it out?

cheers
scheuri

blindbat1457
September 29th, 2009, 08:36 AM
According to your post you were able to find out by yourself and by your own standards/tests that Linux (or/and Ubuntu) is, and I quote, badass.

So what keeps you back to take a look at MacOS X (a friends laptop maybe) and check it out?

cheers
scheuri

Well I am a Window's Vista user X_x

First off I barely got this laptop and I already knew that Vista was a piece of **** and now that I am using it I proved myself more than right. As for Mac, I used it in my print shop class in high school. They were iMac's I thought they were pretty cool but to be honest I didn't find them that SPECIAL. I have to say they are better than windows in certain area's.

Also what I meant to say was what is it that makes linux so good? I am a very very very new user to it. I only went on it twice for a good 10 mins cause it is only booting off a CD.

Does Linux ever crash? Does it get errors? Corrupted files? Can it have any Viruses? Stuff like that.

toupeiro
September 29th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Mac OS would be much more badass (not necessarily much more badass than linux, but more badass in general) if I could run it on my i7 system without breaking the law. (my i7 system running linux or solaris that would kill a mac on iops and cost me way less.)

misfitpierce
September 29th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I prefer it over the Intel Macbook I had with OS X... Ubuntu is just cleaner, faster, runs lighter, more customizable, based off open source software and free software, and has better community imo. The OS just feels so much better and is so much more customizable. I also like the apps avail for ubuntu better than any OS X apps I ever used!

earthpigg
September 29th, 2009, 08:39 AM

I know it is badass and is much better than Windows but what about Mac? Is it better than Mac's OS.

Why is GNU/Linux superior to Windows? i will not bother.

Why is it superior to BSD/Darwin (aka Apple OS X)?

it is open. you do not need approval from the Fascists at Apple, Inc., to use it, play a video game, watch movies on youtube, etc.

For example, the only time you will ever get approval from The Dictator to run OS X is when you run it on overpriced Apple, Inc. Hardware.

My current computer had a price tag of $1300. if i had purchased equivalent hardware from the Fascists, it would have been $2800.

i dont know about you, but when i purchase a piece of hardware or software i expect to own it. Apple does not offer this. Ever. If you do not believe me, then i challenge you to change a menu item on the iPhone (iPhones run OS X) interface and share it with your neighbor, then notify the Apple and the FBI and see what happens.

To Long, Did not Read Version: GNU/Linux offers you freedom. Apple offers you a convenient way to combust your paycheck and annihilate your Soul.

Also: Find me an OS X install that boots using 60mb of RAM, please. My current Ubuntu install does. What? an operating system vendor not pressuring me to purchase a new computer every three years?! Amazing!

tom66
September 29th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Linux is usually used in servers where crashing and freezing is unacceptable. Linux might crash occasionally, but it's generally very stable. Linux doesn't get viruses. Whether it's because of the small market share it has, or because it is actually more secure, is an ongoing debate...

Additionally, it's open source, along with all of the programs on a default Ubuntu install (apart for some proprietary drivers). You'll always know what your computer is doing, and you can guarantee that. If you don't like the direction a certain program is taking, you can fork it, change it, and release it. This also means DRM (digital rights management, more appropriately digital restrictions management) is impossible on a Linux or FOSS system.

Exodist
September 29th, 2009, 08:43 AM

If you asking for our opinions.

1) I cant say its better, then X. It would be like arguing over which fruit tasted better. I prefer Linux do to, stability, speed, security, custom-ability and the GNU/GPL license which the kernel and most all the software use.

2) Pros and Cons:
Pros
Secure(er).
Higher Stability.
Ability to be customized to the users delight.
User supported.

Cons
Lack of MMO-RPG Games (Im a 31year old kid)
Doesnt come with a warning sticker to all newbs that its NOT WINDOW$

3) I have a Mac, I cant say what you will like or dislike. But I didnt like haveing tons of software not work on each new release of OSX. Linux I dont have this problem. Wich is why my eMac now sets happy with Ubuntu 9.04PPC and my daughter loves it more then OSX.

blindbat1457
September 29th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Linux is usually used in servers where crashing and freezing is unacceptable. Linux might crash occasionally, but it's generally very stable. Linux doesn't get viruses. Whether it's because of the small market share it has, or because it is actually more secure, is an ongoing debate...

Additionally, it's open source, along with all of the programs on a default Ubuntu install (apart for some proprietary drivers). You'll always know what your computer is doing, and you can guarantee that. If you don't like the direction a certain program is taking, you can fork it, change it, and release it. This also means DRM (digital rights management, more appropriately digital restrictions management) is impossible on a Linux or FOSS system.

Would you consider it more stable than windows or mac?

Why is GNU/Linux superior to Windows? i will not bother.

Why is it superior to BSD/Darwin (aka Apple OS X)?

it is open. you do not need approval from the Fascists at Apple, Inc., to use it, play a video game, watch movies on youtube, etc.

For example, the only time you will ever get approval from The Dictator to run OS X is when you run it on overpriced Apple, Inc. Hardware.

My current computer had a price tag of $1300. if i had purchased equivalent hardware from the Fascists, it would have been $2800.

i dont know about you, but when i purchase a piece of hardware or software i expect to own it. Apple does not offer this. Ever. If you do not believe me, then i challenge you to change a menu item on the iPhone (iPhones run OS X) interface and share it with your neighbor, then notify the Apple and the FBI and see what happens.

To Long, Did not Read Version: GNU/Linux offers you freedom. Apple offers you a convenient way to combust your paycheck and annihilate your Soul.

I understand what you are saying. I think it is kinda ridiculous that you can't customize an OS that you bought. I mean you paid for it hence you should have the right to do what you want.

I prefer it over the Intel Macbook I had with OS X... Ubuntu is just cleaner, faster, runs lighter, more customizable, based off open source software and free software, and has better community imo. The OS just feels so much better and is so much more customizable. I also like the apps avail for ubuntu better than any OS X apps I ever used!

What makes it run faster and lighter?

By the way sorry for all the questions just really curious and interested in what makes Linux better than other companies.

blindbat1457
September 29th, 2009, 08:52 AM
If you asking for our opinions.

1) I cant say its better, then X. It would be like arguing over which fruit tasted better. I prefer Linux do to, stability, speed, security, custom-ability and the GNU/GPL license which the kernel and most all the software use.

2) Pros and Cons:
Pros
Secure(er).
Higher Stability.
Ability to be customized to the users delight.
User supported.

Cons
Lack of MMO-RPG Games (Im a 31year old kid)
Doesnt come with a warning sticker to all newbs that its NOT WINDOW$

3) I have a Mac, I cant say what you will like or dislike. But I didnt like haveing tons of software not work on each new release of OSX. Linux I dont have this problem. Wich is why my eMac now sets happy with Ubuntu 9.04PPC and my daughter loves it more then OSX.

Lol, that is partially why I chose Windows so I can play games :P

Also what is GNU/GPL license?
I am new to this terminology but a quick learner.

I am only 18 so I wanna learn much as I can.

Exodist
September 29th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I understand what you are saying. I think it is kinda ridiculous that you can't customize an OS that you bought. I mean you paid for it hence you should have the right to do what you want.

I would recommend reading the M$ Windows EULA.

You dont OWN anything..

Exodist
September 29th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Lol, that is partially why I chose Windows so I can play games :P

Also what is GNU/GPL license?
I am new to this terminology but a quick learner.

I am only 18 so I wanna learn much as I can.

http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

Compare it to the MS Win EULA.

To me its not just all the cool things I mentioned before, using Linux is also a very moral decision. M$ goes against most everything I believe in.

earthpigg
September 29th, 2009, 08:58 AM
What makes it run faster and lighter?

i already told you, sir. Freedom.

my Ubuntu install uses 60mb of ram at boot and used 1gb to install because i had the Freedom to choose what to install and use.

earthpigg
September 29th, 2009, 09:00 AM
also, read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_way

Apple OS X is non-compliant, GNU/Linux is compliant.

blindbat1457
September 29th, 2009, 09:04 AM
i already told you, sir. Freedom.

my Ubuntu install uses 60mb of ram at boot and used 1gb to install because i had the Freedom to choose what to install and use.

Holy cow! Only 60 MB or RAM!

I could do some serious damage then haha I have 4 GB RAM :D

earthpigg
September 29th, 2009, 09:08 AM
holy cow! Only 60 mb of ram!

|
|
\/

stwschool
September 29th, 2009, 01:25 PM
I've managed to get a very nice desktop running on 16MB before using Linux, the thing is that open-source means total choice of what you want. It means you have to think a little more about your choices but that's a good thing. There's a distro out there for everyone. Check out Slitaz some time, it'll run wonderfully even on the crappiest hardware.

Linux makes crap old computers useful. It makes snazzy new computers sexy (I challenge anyone to watch my lovely compiz-powered desktop and tell me it's not sexy). It gives you freedom.

I should also mention that with Wine and DOSBox, you'll be able to run a hell of a lot of Windows and old DOS games reasonably well. In some cases, it's better at that job than Windows 7 and Vista (in my experience), ie older windows software won't work on 7/Vista but will run through Wine.

Finally, linux is free. No piracy required. Free as in beer, and free as in speech. It's a beautiful thing.

random turnip
September 29th, 2009, 01:41 PM
"Better" is a form of opinion. But there is quite a few undeniable things that Ubuntu does better than Widnows or Mac (mac being a shiny, expensive, slow version of Linux).

Ubuntu is faster, more secure, more reliable and cheaper than both of them basically are the main points to take away.

However, you need to remember that Linux isn't the same as either of them, with the up points come differences that you will have to get used to, and once you are used to them they will be no more difficult than the same processes in Windows.

speedwell68
September 29th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Nothing makes one OS better than another. What is good for one person, might be a right PITA for another. It is all about choice.

blindbat1457
September 29th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Okay well what programs can run on linux? I am a Graphic Designer so I use photoshop and all the fun stuff. I highly doubt linux is running exe files cause if that was the case then I would assume linux would have viruses. So could I run those programs on linux or would I have to switch back to Windows?

earthpigg
September 29th, 2009, 09:46 PM
you can run some Windows software with varying degrees of functionality on Linux using WINE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_%28software%29).

however, you will get the most mileage using native linux software.

The GIMP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_GIMP) is the professional level image manipulation program that many Linux users swear by. Many will say that it "doesn't cut it", but that is generally an indication that those individuals where unwilling to invest the same amount of time learning GIMP that they spent learning photoshop.

they are a few features that GIMP has that photoshop does not have, and a few features that photoshop has that GIMP lacks, however, and for some that is indeed a deal breaker.

edit: i put this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/18/Panorama_cropped.png) panorama picture (10mb) together from five individual photos using only Free Software for this wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suomenlinna). obviously, i was not using a tripod like i should have but that is my fault :D

edit2: that's actually a pretty horrible example. google iamge search 'made with gimp'. turn safe search off if you want to see some really interesting things...

tom66
September 29th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I consider Linux stable for me, though I have experienced my fair share of problems.

In comparison to Windows, it's more stable for me.
I've not tried Mac OS X enough to judge it. I've only used it a few times, I liked how it worked, but I didn't really put it to test.

earthpigg
September 29th, 2009, 09:54 PM
also, for running windows software:

VirtualBox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtualbox) is probably the best way to do it.

take a look at this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9c/Virtualbox15seamless.png) image - he is essentially running full-blown Windows XP as merely another Ubuntu program.

(Actually VirtualBox is the 'merely another Ubuntu program'... and from that program, you can boot windows... you get the idea :D )

Marc van der Wijst
September 29th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Maybe you could check out http://ubuntustudio.org/. A quote from the site: "Ubuntu Studio is aimed at the GNU/Linux audio, video and graphic enthusiast as well as professional." Hope it helps for you. And for me: Linux rocks.
:guitar:

openfly
September 29th, 2009, 10:13 PM

Better than? That's a bit of a dangerous question. Linux is better than other OSes at certain operations and that can be proven as fact. But, for linux to be in general better than any other OS, that becomes something of a matter of subjective interpretation of facts, and possibly fictions.

I'd say that microsoft has some fairly amazing products. In fact, microsoft has been at the head of the pack in a number of areas over the years and still are in some cases. I'd love to see you find a product in Linux that could compete with active directory. There isn't anything. Not for lack of trying mind you.

Mac OS is a hacked up faux-unix sitting on top of a mach kernel. Which is pretty damned neat. But by the same token, apple developers think different, and in the world of unix that's a big mistake. Originally they broke immediately from UNIX standards and tradition in building the first few OSX versions. The results were for lack of a better word mixed. OSX was met with huge support from the diehard mac community, and from FreeBSD / Linux advocates because of their choice of underlying kernel. However as time moved on, Apple came face to face with a problem. The environment they had originally created allowed open source applications to be quickly ported to OSX. But as their environment became increasingly different from other unix's their list of compatible open source applications began to dwindle, and a lot of complaints began to surface.

Rather than address the issue, apple basically bribed Open Group to grant them a UNIX certification. Something open group hasn't done in years for anyone, because they refuse to do it without a bribe. Thus Linux not being UNIX tm. Sadly, OSX is not UNIX to date as it is not completely POSIX compliant despite what open group or apple may claim for advertising purposes.

That's the core of what UNIX is. It's a set of standards built at first upon DOD spec standards for BSD, but then later incorporating many standards from a number of authoritative standards bodies. One of the great defining benefits of Linux and other true UNIX like operating systems is that they adhere to open standards on how their OS should function. That makes it very easy to develop on and for these environments.

Windows and Apple both fail in that regard. And ultimately that's a serious failure. Apple does it because they want to "control the user experience." Microsoft does it, because they don't give a crap what anyone else is doing, and sometimes it helps them force competitors out of markets by basically screwing over their customers. In effect Apple and Microsoft are willing to screw over their customers if it will earn them a greater net marketshare. Linux isn't and can't.

So, the argument in capitalism is that without competition the market stagnates. All need each other, but I'd say microsoft and OSX really need Linux in the game to keep them playing fair with their customers.

JDShu
September 29th, 2009, 10:28 PM
By the way sorry for all the questions just really curious and interested in what makes Linux better than other companies.

Linux is not a company, its a program, or more specifically, a kernel.

I would have thought this would be in recurring discussions by now, I guess I still don't understand the criteria.

As for the question, as some people have mentioned, its extremely customizable. Lots of distributions each of which could satisfy a specific need. It doesn't hurt that you generally don't need to worry about malware :P

blindbat1457
September 29th, 2009, 10:56 PM
also, for running windows software:

VirtualBox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtualbox) is probably the best way to do it.

take a look at this (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9c/Virtualbox15seamless.png) image - he is essentially running full-blown Windows XP as merely another Ubuntu program.

(Actually VirtualBox is the 'merely another Ubuntu program'... and from that program, you can boot windows... you get the idea :D )

Alright thanks.

By the way I saw a youtube video of someone on a Mac, I assume running parallels, and using linux on the Mac.. then on linux using windows. Now that is bitchin.