PDA

View Full Version : The future of Gnome and Ubuntu.

Exodist
September 29th, 2009, 07:13 AM
With the design of Gnome 3.0 introducing the Gnome Shell (http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell). How will this effect Ubuntu? Mark did state that the next LTS would be based on Gnome 2.2# and that Ubuntu would not be using Gnome 3.0 in the LTS for stability reasons. I have noticed that many users of Gnome dont seem pleased with the proposed change. Could this effect Ubuntu in a way that calls for a switch in Desktop Enviroments? XFCE? KDE? Definitely not WindowMaker, although I would like to see where that one would go (LOL).

Thoughts, comments?

- Exo

Bodsda
September 29th, 2009, 07:21 AM
With the design of Gnome 3.0 introducing the Gnome Shell (http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell). How will this effect Ubuntu? Mark did state that the next LTS would be based on Gnome 2.2# and that Ubuntu would not be using Gnome 3.0 in the LTS for stability reasons. I have noticed that many users of Gnome dont seem pleased with the proposed change. Could this effect Ubuntu in a way that calls for a switch in Desktop Enviroments? XFCE? KDE? Definitely not WindowMaker, although I would like to see where that one would go (LOL).

Thoughts, comments?

- Exo

I think they will stick with gnome, even if they stay in the 2.x series. Personally, the only change I would like to see is metacity being replaced by fluxbox as the default Window Manager mainly for the tabbed window support, but also because fluxbox just rocks :)

speedwell68
September 29th, 2009, 07:23 AM
I don't think it will have any effect. I think Mark Shuttleworth is spot on for not having Gnome 3 in the next LTS. Gnome 2.2x is very stable, which is what LTS is all about. I imagine the six monthly Ubuntu cycle will see Gnome 3 included and anyone that uses LTS can upgrade to Gnome 3 if they want to. Look at what happened with KDE 4.x, I still know KDE users that are running 3.5.x because of KDE's instability

Exodist
September 29th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Yea Metachity needs either heavily updated/ reworked or just plain replaced. Coding for that codger is a pain in the rear. Wouldnt be a big deal if it offered more. But its extremely limited on what it can do and only offeres round corners at best.

Exodist
September 29th, 2009, 07:32 AM
@Speedwell68,
KDE was/is always very unstable when they release I new version. I swear it seemed like KDE was at ver 3.4 before it became stable and by 3.5 they was already starting to shift focus on 4.0.
Perhaps KDE would be a good option, its seems reasonbly stable now. But I would be in full favor of keeping it at 4.x for a year or so after they release 5.0. (Just thinking further down the road that is.)

Warpnow
September 29th, 2009, 08:06 AM
"sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop" will become the biggest piece of advice for new users.

I think the design concepts behind gnome 3 suck. Waste of screen real estate, and a highly inefficient model.

misfitpierce
September 29th, 2009, 08:13 AM
They prob just stick with Gnome 2.28 for another release which is perfectly fine. Ubuntu will not switch its environment because of this. There was already a thread that discussed this lol.

lovinglinux
September 29th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Future of gnome-based ubuntu edition after gnome 3.0 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1177677)

Exodist
September 29th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Future of gnome-based ubuntu edition after gnome 3.0 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1177677)

O' Didnt see that one. I thought I read all the the threads.. :-)

wojox
September 29th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I downloaded and compiled Gnome-shell. It suxs! Reminded me of kde.

Exodist
September 30th, 2009, 08:31 AM
They prob just stick with Gnome 2.28 for another release which is perfectly fine. Ubuntu will not switch its environment because of this. There was already a thread that discussed this lol.

Another way of looking at this is not that we would be switching environments, but basicly Gnome is switching its environment on us.

When Ubuntu as a whole settled on Gnome as its DE, that was based on the current concept and layout that GNOME follows currently. But if GNOME gets to radical with this shell concept, then its not the same gnome anymore. ~Food for thought~

wildman4god
September 30th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Gnome 3 isn't a whole rewrite like kde 4 was, it just cleans up the base code and introduces gnome shell, which replaces the panels, and zieghtgiest, which lets you find files through a jornal system rather than folder hiarchy or the search tools we have now, though it won't replace file manager just compliment it. Anywho, being gnome 3 doesn't rewrite the whole de and just replaces the panels, it's possible for ubuntu to continue using the panels instead of gnome shell. panels aren't all that complicated so it wouldn't be much for ubuntu community to maintain them its self and use that while the rest of the gnome code including zeightgiest follows normal gnome development. It's even possible for ubuntu to write their own version of gnome shell that users may like better. So all isn't lost.

Странник
September 30th, 2009, 01:47 PM
AFAIK Gnome shell is still in development, so we don't know how the final release is going to look like .
Still early to tell ...