PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 - Help needed: Getting Outlook 2007 to work

vince.lupe
September 29th, 2009, 05:29 AM
Hey everyone!

I have installed and gotten to work Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007 with Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope; however, when I try to open Outllok 2007, it says something along the lines of "Cannot open Outlook window." Why is that? How can I fix that so that I can open and use it? Also, I am a newbie, so I do not know how to automate switches (I'd like to, if I need to, open Outlook 2007 via the use of the /resetnavpane switch if needed, every time I open Outlook 2007. I'd like it to be automated every time I click on the Outlook icon.). Can someone help me with getting Outlook to work? Thanks!

Vince Lupe

brian mcgee
September 29th, 2009, 05:34 AM
Not sure Outlook 2007 works well in Wine:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=7533

rreese6
September 29th, 2009, 07:02 AM
You would probably be better off looking here:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=4992&iTestingId=42611 (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=4992&iTestingId=42611)

or use the native Linux programs like Open Office and Kontact

e-Gee
September 29th, 2009, 07:19 AM
You just have to install Windows and all your problems will be solved. Why do you use Linux if you can't use basic Linux apps like Evolution or Thunderbird, Openoffice .....

rreese6
September 29th, 2009, 07:37 AM
You just have to install Windows and all your problems will be solved. Why do you use Linux if you can't use basic Linux apps like Evolution or Thunderbird, Openoffice .....

Hey eGee, let's be civil here....he is a newbie, he said (yeah I missed that the first read too) He probably doesn't know about all the great stuff for Linux yet. Once he starts using them he will naturally forget about that other OS...what was it's name again? :)

Remember that People who have been always lead down a path have a hard time went set free to roam as they wish.....

Hey Vince take eGee's advice though to check out Evolution and thunderbird...there are also personal managements programs that work really well...and do it all from a very secure environment.
Don't bother looking for defrag or spybot removers with linux, no need for them because of the built-in security/
Remember to have fun and enjoy your new found freedom in computing.

vince.lupe
September 29th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Hey eGee, let's be civil here....he is a newbie, he said (yeah I missed that the first read too) He probably doesn't know about all the great stuff for Linux yet. Once he starts using them he will naturally forget about that other OS...what was it's name again? :)

Remember that People who have been always lead down a path have a hard time went set free to roam as they wish.....

Hey Vince take eGee's advice though to check out Evolution and thunderbird...there are also personal managements programs that work really well...and do it all from a very secure environment.
Don't bother looking for defrag or spybot removers with linux, no need for them because of the built-in security/
Remember to have fun and enjoy your new found freedom in computing.

Reese, thank you! I chose linux because it's so simpler and faster than Windows - plus, I like the customization features. So far, I love linux. I just need to get my printer working - and, I am still trying to work out Outlook 2007 because I love MS2007. I'm glad to have gotten Word to work. I'm going to look at that link above that you suggested first though before I just move to linux based mail programs. Thank you, and I'll contact you again for more help.

MSwal2846
September 29th, 2009, 07:40 PM
You really should give the Linux email systems a try. I personally really like Thunderbird. I use it for my google mail, AOL mail, hotmail mail (is that redundant?), and it works for outlook too. So I have one address book across them all. That is unbelievably handy ... for me. By hey, that's the glory of Linux ... experiment for what works for you!

vince.lupe
September 29th, 2009, 08:05 PM
You really should give the Linux email systems a try. I personally really like Thunderbird. I use it for my google mail, AOL mail, hotmail mail (is that redundant?), and it works for outlook too. So I have one address book across them all. That is unbelievably handy ... for me. By hey, that's the glory of Linux ... experiment for what works for you!

Thanks, Mark!

rreese6
September 29th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Vince,

Don't discount Open Office Word Program, it is very powerful and can even read MS Word files and write them...Plus soooo much more!
Just look at what you can do with it.
It should be already installed on your system under Office menu.
My Brother has been using only Open Office for the past 10 years in his office, as well, all of his employees use it also...and some even run it under windows OS, but they are mostly Linux users...Iknow My bad for converting My brother 10 years ago/////

vince.lupe
September 29th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Vince,

Don't discount Open Office Word Program, it is very powerful and can even read MS Word files and write them...Plus soooo much more!
Just look at what you can do with it.
It should be already installed on your system under Office menu.
My Brother has been using only Open Office for the past 10 years in his office, as well, all of his employees use it also...and some even run it under windows OS, but they are mostly Linux users...Iknow My bad for converting My brother 10 years ago/////

I still like Microsoft Word 2007 though. I've just come to be used to it. Thank you, though, Reese.

vince.lupe
October 2nd, 2009, 08:57 PM
I still like Microsoft Word 2007 though. I've just come to be used to it. Thank you, though, Reese.

Reese, I'm using Thunderbird now, and I won't say that I am not pleased with it. It is working really well for me! Thank you for the suggestion!