PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Kubuntu not in boot menu

ckmccoy
September 29th, 2009, 04:58 AM
I've been using ubuntu for almost a year, and i have been liking it very much. I have one hard drive with ubuntu, and one hard drive with vista on it, which i installed kubuntu on a partition on the vista hard drive. When I restarted, my boot menu only shows ubuntu and windows vista (loader) and no kubuntu. I'm very lost as to what my problem is here? helpppppppp please!

rreese6
September 29th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Kubuntu need to be added to the Grub menu..
Download the script in my Signature called BootScript
and run it.
cd <to where you downloaded script file>
sudo ./boot_info_script032.sh

Then post the contents of the Readme.txt file produced by the script here.

slakkie
September 29th, 2009, 07:33 AM
You don't need a separate install for Kubuntu..
In ubuntu, install the kubuntu-desktop package:

sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop

logout, and hit session type and select kde. Voila.

rreese6
September 29th, 2009, 08:20 AM
True, but maybe he wants to run the 3.5 desktop of Kubuntu 8.04LTS...

slakkie
September 29th, 2009, 08:41 AM
8.04 doesn't have KDE4.x desktop last time I checked..

rreese6
September 29th, 2009, 03:57 PM
My point exactly :)

Merlion
September 29th, 2009, 04:25 PM
There are ISO-images with KDE4 at here: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu-kde4/releases/8.04/release/
If I remember good, there was in Hardy KDE4, I installed it, but it was very-very early to use:D

I use Kubuntu since Gutsy released. If you install it on the entire disk (no other operating system), in the Grub there won't be Kubuntu: only Ubuntu (however it is Kubuntu).

ckmccoy
September 29th, 2009, 10:08 PM
You don't need a separate install for Kubuntu..
In ubuntu, install the kubuntu-desktop package:

sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop

logout, and hit session type and select kde. Voila.

i've decided to do this, so i can save my other hard drive for windows completely and keep U/K on their on hard drive. how do i get rid of the partition i made on my windows hard drive, and turn it back to its full 500GB???

rreese6
September 30th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Run gparted on the drive, delete the linux partition and resize the windows one. it will take a while to complete so be patent.
Remember with gparted after you do the delete and resize, hit the apply button and wait for it to finish.

ckmccoy
September 30th, 2009, 03:56 AM
while in gparted, the lunux partition has locks next to it, and it won't let me remove delete, or, as far as i can tell, do anything to that partition. how do i get rid of the little lock symbol next to the partition?

Bucky Ball
September 30th, 2009, 04:01 AM
i've decided to do this, so i can save my other hard drive for windows completely and keep U/K on their on hard drive. how do i get rid of the partition i made on my windows hard drive, and turn it back to its full 500GB???

It is best. You can install Xfce also and a bunch of other desktop environments. Just go to 'Sessions' at the login screen and choose KDE or Openbox or Xfce ... whatever you feel like.

ckmccoy
September 30th, 2009, 04:03 AM
scratch that last post. i learned i had to unmound the drive first. which removed the lock. i deleted the linux partition and now i have a 300.06 partition which is my windows, and an unallocated 165.69GB partition. The resize option is grayed out and I can not figure out why.

oboedad55
September 30th, 2009, 04:19 AM
scratch that last post. i learned i had to unmound the drive first. which removed the lock. i deleted the linux partition and now i have a 300.06 partition which is my windows, and an unallocated 165.69GB partition. The resize option is grayed out and I can not figure out why.

At this point it sounds like a question for windows forums. Maybe you can get Partition Magic or Acronis Disk Director.

rreese6
September 30th, 2009, 04:30 AM
This might be because you dont have the right drivers installed to modify NTFS file systems.
I like to use a CD just for system rescue. It has all the programs needed to read and write NTFS and also a graphical gparted.
the welcome screens explains this.

it is called System Rescue CD and you can find it here:
http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

I have used their CD for years to fix systems and resize windows partitions.

ckmccoy
September 30th, 2009, 11:10 PM
yup! all i had to do was boot back into windows, and extend my partition over the blank one. thanks for ya help!

rreese6
October 1st, 2009, 02:47 AM
SO if that is done, Mark the post as SOLVED