PDA

View Full Version : About blog comments

Vostrocity
September 29th, 2009, 03:06 AM
For those of you using Wordpress or Blogger, when a reader comments, do you see his or her email? I always use Disqus so that doesn't happen to me. I'm kinda scared I'll comment on some blog without reading its sneaky privacy policy and get spammed. I also don't understand the purpose of having to enter an email (I know some newer blog services like Posterous don't require it anymore) to comment. They never send you an email to confirm, so you could just enter any random thing.

joey-elijah
September 29th, 2009, 04:15 AM
I think the e-mail requirement was/is a "safeguard" against any libellous or law breaking comments. Of course most people just LIE!

I use Disqus on my blog and i can't say i ever pay much attention to a users entered e-mail unless they're asking for help via it.

With openID and such things, the whole "spam threat" is reduced somewhat, though if you have your email posted anywhere online it's open to attack.

Jesus_Valdez
September 29th, 2009, 06:05 AM
I dont have comment on my blogs, 'cause nobody cares what I say.

Vostrocity
September 29th, 2009, 06:12 AM
I'm not worried much about Blogger or Wordpress. But it would be very easy for someone to build a quick text entry box as a comment system for a bogus blog, then state in the privacy policy that they are allowed to give your email to 3rd parties. And anyone who thinks it was just another harmless blog would fall for it.

@joey
Nice blog btw, I subscribed. :)

ninjashoes
September 29th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I hate blog commenting

I mean I hate having it available on my blog

too much spam, like if I dont check it for a week theres 1000 spam comments

Vostrocity
September 29th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Then you must be doing something wrong. I've rarely seen a Disqus/Blogger/Wordpress system get spammed.

aysiu
September 29th, 2009, 11:25 PM
You could always create an email account specifically for the purposes of commenting and then never check it. Then it wouldn't matter if that account got spammed or not.