PDA

View Full Version : how do You install software?

chriskin
September 28th, 2009, 11:01 PM
as karmic comes closer (or has already came for those of us testing it before its release) more blogs talk about the sofware center as a replacement of add/remove.

i'd like to know what is your way of installing stuff.i find both software center and add/remove a little to simplistic, since they don't offer all the choices package manager does and don't tell you how much space your installations will use.

Bölvağur
September 28th, 2009, 11:13 PM
I voted for the following:
Add/Remove Applications
Synaptic Package Manager
Terminal
Other (please specify)

When Im looking for something I do not know I hope there is something in Add/Remove and just browse around (normally it takes very short time compared to any other way of looking for an application to do some job)

When I know what I am looking for but cannot remember the package name I use Synaptic, and sometimes when I do know it.

I only use the terminal to open binary files under root or apt-get packages that I know by heart how to spell.

I sometimes also install by apt link if I got a browser open and am too lazy to open the terminal or synaptic, and know the exact package name.

earthpigg
September 28th, 2009, 11:15 PM
for games: browse and install via add/remove.

all else: browse in synaptic, and install either via synaptic or apt-get.

basically... add/remove is for fun, synaptic is for exploring, command line is for serious stuff.

on my arch install, i use gtkpacman and the arch wiki to explore, and command line to install.

(arch is on my primary desktop, the ubuntu remix in my sig is on everything else. i maintain a vanilla Ubuntu vbox install so i can be on the same page as folks im helping in the support forums and to help me maintain/improve this web page (http://sites.google.com/site/masonux/home/ease-of-use).)

RiceMonster
September 28th, 2009, 11:16 PM
terminal mostly, but often in PackageKit as well

doas777
September 28th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I almost never use add/remove (it seems to miss a lot of stuff that I have installed) and only use synaptic once in a blue moon. I either use apt-get or install it via the manual methods (compiling, tarballs, alien, debs and runs).

FuturePilot
September 28th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Synaptic and the terminal. I've never used Add/Remove and I've only played around with Software Center mostly out of curiosity. But it won't replace Synaptic and the terminal for me. The Software Center is a good idea for new users, but I'm far from a new user.

-grubby
September 28th, 2009, 11:25 PM
Mostly apt-get, but if I'm hunting down a package I can't find with apt-cache search I'll use Synaptic.

MasterNetra
September 28th, 2009, 11:30 PM
I primarily install via, Synaptic Package Manger, Terminal, and .debs. Have tried Software Center, its ok. I'd probably be more incline to use that then add/remove.

credobyte
September 28th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Haven't touched Add/Remove and Synaptic for months .. Every single package have been installed from Terminal ( specifically, tty's ).

Viva
September 28th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Synaptic, terminal, apturl.

magmon
September 28th, 2009, 11:34 PM
I use the add/remove and .debs in general.

hoppipolla
September 28th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Add/Remove as much as I can, but if it doesn't have what I want then I use Synaptic... and if THAT doesn't have what I want then I'm hunting around online lol

JillSwift
September 28th, 2009, 11:38 PM
I voted "yes". :)

I've even compiled a colonel! Turns out he makes really good chicken.

Tibuda
September 29th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Add/remove (now software center), apturls in Firefox and aptitude in terminal.

hoppipolla
September 29th, 2009, 12:40 AM
I voted "yes". :)

I've even compiled a colonel! Turns out he makes really good chicken.

lol :)

magmon
September 29th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I think this was just moved to a totally irrelivant sub forum. I don't use karmic, and I don't think most of us do O.o

dragos240
September 29th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Yes, this topic should be moved back to the cafe

MacUntu
September 29th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Terminal and Synaptic and that's not going to change.

Seventh Reign
September 29th, 2009, 03:17 AM
Terminal and MintInstall

Frak
September 29th, 2009, 04:15 AM
I've been building my own installer system, so I've been repackaging a lot of things. Works great so far, since I can upgrade to karmic without problems.

earthpigg
September 29th, 2009, 05:23 AM
I've been building my own installer system, so I've been repackaging a lot of things. Works great so far, since I can upgrade to karmic without problems.

got a .deb? even if its alpha, ill play with it in a VM and help you out.

Frak
September 29th, 2009, 05:26 AM
got a .deb? even if its alpha, ill play with it in a VM and help you out.
I haven't written the rake tasks yet. Everything so far has been hackishly put together, and is dependent on various "stuff" on my system.

Plus, the only two packages I can install are Firefox and the build-essential metapackage (metapackage-test). It's earlier than Alpha, it's like stone age horse drawings on a wall.

carlosgs91
September 29th, 2009, 06:43 AM
-

Exodist
September 29th, 2009, 06:49 AM
I install most everything thru synaptic, what isnt in the repository I compile from source.

khelben1979
September 29th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I voted terminal.

I install software by using: dselect, apt-get or by installing from source, where I prefer the latter. A bit time consuming on the P4 though.

itreius
September 29th, 2009, 10:11 AM
I always use the terminal for software installing/removing.

disturbed1
September 29th, 2009, 11:18 AM
autotools and/or cmake.

bruno9779
September 29th, 2009, 11:19 AM
HEY!!!!!

why compile from source is not an option there?? I compile half of the programs i use, another quarter in from CLI and the remaining in synaptic/add and remove.

LookTJ
September 29th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Terminal

knepig91
September 29th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Voted Terminal

etnlIcarus
September 29th, 2009, 01:25 PM
If I know what I want to do, aptitude. If I'm just pottering around, Synaptic.

dragos240
September 29th, 2009, 01:30 PM
Terminal for pacman and sometimes shaman.

speedwell68
September 29th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Synaptic if I am searching for something that may or may not be in the repositories. Apt-Get if it is something I know is in my installed repositories and sometimes I use Ubuntu Tweak.

BrokenKingpin
September 29th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I use Synaptic or the terminal to install software as of 9.04. Once the next release is out that will probably change to the new app center if it is any good.

chriskin
September 29th, 2009, 05:35 PM
HEY!!!!!

why compile from source is not an option there?? I compile half of the programs i use, another quarter in from CLI and the remaining in synaptic/add and remove.

do you compile half the programs you use without using a terminal? :)

openfly
September 29th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I push out updates as software policies from within my HP SA core.

spupy
September 29th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Sometimes at midnight a notification pops up saying there are X updates. I click the "Update now" button on the notification and press 'enter'. That's it.
It's some script I wrote long ago to handle pacman (arch linux packager) updates, but I haven't maintained it - it still works and I don't remember well how.

It's console if I want to install something myself, but that is relatively rare.

sgosnell
September 29th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I do it pretty much every way, depending on the package. If I know the exact name, it's quicker to use the terminal. If I don't, I can browse in Synaptic. Some software isn't available in the repositories I have enabled, and sometimes I have to manually download and install it. Sometimes a download automatically opens gdebi from the browser. I have no set way of doing it, it all depends on the package and what is easiest at the time. I expect to continue that way regardless of what Karmic does.

binrat
September 29th, 2009, 11:37 PM
i use all ways except add remove , synaptic is my favorite with apt-get a close second and gdebi for single packages.

Twitch6000
September 29th, 2009, 11:39 PM
I just use yast =].

starcannon
September 30th, 2009, 12:15 AM
I use all of the methods listed depending on what I'm up to.

Under other, sometimes its a .bin or .deb or .sh that I downloaded from a trusted source, and very rarely sometimes I compile something; though with Ubuntu, that is really only if I'm in the mood to geek out on a project that has nothing to do with productivity, and everything to do with "just because I can".