PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubantu hangs during initial install attempt

ws5z
September 28th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I have a Compaq c304nr which i am trying to install Ubuntu 9.04 on. After selecting the language option, and initiating "Install Ubuntu", I get a splash of colored pixels across the menu screen, and installation stops, and f keys are unresponsive. I have tried starting in safe graphics mode, but no luck. Any help for this newb would be greatly appreciated.

earthpigg
September 28th, 2009, 07:39 PM
hi,

the ubuntu alternate installer (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate) is designed for folks having issues such as these. try giving it a shot, let us know how it works out.

QIII
September 28th, 2009, 07:44 PM
earthpigg is spot on.

Your machine appears to have Intel graphics. Jaunty has regression issues with Intel graphics.

Once you get installed, please take a look at

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/904

and pay special attention to the section about Intel graphics regressions.

ws5z
September 28th, 2009, 10:41 PM
Still get a GUI with that download, not text based.
And still get the same results. Tried changing every setting. I could

still get the scattering of colored pixels across the install gui when I try to start the install.

Used the same disc to set up a dual boot machine and it seems to work fine.

I'm at a loss. Could my boot sectors be bad on my HD?

I don't know!?!?!

ws5z
September 28th, 2009, 10:45 PM
Heck, I'd just like to get to a command prompt at this point!

earthpigg
September 28th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Heck, I'd just like to get to a command prompt at this point!

look closely at the first menu you get with the alternate installer CD, it gives you the option to do a command line install.

ws5z
September 29th, 2009, 04:28 PM
after pressing f4 and highlighting command line install, absolutely nothing happens and program locks up. no pixels on screen as before, but nothing happens.
???????????time to give????????
hope not.