PDA

View Full Version : Lauching a new website, feedback? *Warning, Artistic Nudity*

Danoz
September 28th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I'd like to share my new website and look for some feedback on the layout/design and function:

http://www.porterbrew.com

It's going to be a blog of photography, writing/reviews, 3D Design and technology. I'd be very interested in your feedback!

*WARNING* Opening blog post includes artistic nudity (painting).

Thanks,

Daniel

BuffaloX
September 29th, 2009, 12:27 AM
I think your site is very well done, nice layout and graphics.
Everything seems to work well.

Nice photos and 3D scenes too. :D

credobyte
September 29th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Love it, tough, fake ( I know it's not meant to be so, but .. it's just the way I see it ) menu is not a good idea ( top/right corner ) :)

Lightstar
September 29th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I like it! I approve of it's coolness.

I like the menus on each side, how they are in the page itself and not in their own little box.

good job.

-grubby
September 29th, 2009, 12:49 AM
Agreed, it's nice.

Vostrocity
September 29th, 2009, 02:32 AM
Love it, tough, fake ( I know it's not meant to be so, but .. it's just the way I see it ) menu is not a good idea ( top/right corner ) :)
+1 That was the first thing that I tried clicking on. Since you have the links on the left sidebar anyway, you could easily add links to the "road signs" in the upper right.

Great design overall, but nudity on the landing page might scare people away. :)

pwnst*r
September 29th, 2009, 02:35 AM
very nice and not too busy.

Vostrocity
September 29th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Two more things.

1. What does "Porterbrew" mean?

2. I see you have the post dates in fine print at the bottom. I usually prefer knowing the post date at a glance, but it's up to you.

killabee44
September 29th, 2009, 02:59 AM
I really like it! Did you use Joomla? I am interested in creating a site but don't know where to start. Did you use a template? or did it all yourself? Thanks for the info.

Bachstelze
September 29th, 2009, 03:14 AM
I really like it! Did you use Joomla? I am interested in creating a site but don't know where to start. Did you use a template? or did it all yourself? Thanks for the info.

By looking at the source, you see that it's Wordpress.

credobyte
September 29th, 2009, 03:17 AM

As you can see it @ http://porterbrew.com/wp-admin/ - it's based on Wordpress ;)

Dimitriid
September 29th, 2009, 03:50 AM
I like the layout and background, but I think maybe you could improve the fonts? I know is not easy to do on the web and cross platform at that but still, looks a tad out of place.

Frak
September 29th, 2009, 03:56 AM
Nice and clean. Not too much clutter and distractions.

Danoz
September 29th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I like the layout and background, but I think maybe you could improve the fonts? I know is not easy to do on the web and cross platform at that but still, looks a tad out of place.

Could you describe what you mean? Which fonts? Which text?

+1 That was the first thing that I tried clicking on. Since you have the links on the left sidebar anyway, you could easily add links to the "road signs" in the upper right.

Great design overall, but nudity on the landing page might scare people away. :)

I'll have to consider implementing this, though I'm not 100% sure how I would go about it with this kind of layout (without making it a separate floating layer).

Two more things.

1. What does "Porterbrew" mean?

2. I see you have the post dates in fine print at the bottom. I usually prefer knowing the post date at a glance, but it's up to you.

First of all, "Porter" is my last name and "Brew" is really just meant to reference my many concoctions. I may even through in a few beer reviews from time to time :).

Good suggestion about the time stamp. Easily added to the top of the post-- I agree it's one of the first things I look for in a blog to see how dated it is, I just didn't think about it here.

I use Wordpress for its versatility, documentation and plethora of plug-ins and widgets. Joomla and Druple are both good, but seeing as how this is essentially a glorified blog I stuck with WP. I have experience in Expression Engine as well (using it for my work site). You really can't go wrong with any of them, but if you don't have a lot of experience something like Wordpress can be a godsend.

Thanks for all the feedback! Keep it coming! :)

NCLI
September 29th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I expected being able to click the "roadsigns", so that's something I'd consider adding in the future if it was my website.

Other than that, I like it a lot!