PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading my distro now

ade234uk
September 28th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Well I thought I would take the chance and just upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 update-manager -d, hopefully this will resolve my sound issues. I'm missing sound on Ubuntu.

When I tried the Alpha sound worked out of the box, I am hoping doing this It will achieve the same.

slakkie
September 28th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Hope you backed up Jaunty in case Karmic breaks your setup.

ade234uk
September 28th, 2009, 08:57 PM
Well luckily enough I got away with it. XServer crashed on me, so I booted with the other kernel, downgraded the Nvidia beta driver and now everything is ok, however I still have no sound. Will wait for final release because it worked on the Alpha Live CD.

OS feels a bit quicker too, but remember it's a bit of mash up at the moment, so hopefully will once I do a fresh install it should a lot quicker.

The new boot sequence looks very professional, and the new Ubuntu Software Center will be so easy for new people coming to Ubuntu. I know some people don't like it, but I found it helpful.

LowSky
September 28th, 2009, 09:13 PM
sound not working can be a easy fix if you know what to look for.

what chipset do you have?

ade234uk
September 28th, 2009, 09:43 PM
Its an intel chipset.

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller

LowSky
September 28th, 2009, 09:45 PM
I thought so, follow these instructions
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HdaIntelSoundHowto

ade234uk
September 28th, 2009, 09:49 PM
I will try that tommorow morning. Thank you very much. I will let you know how I get on.