PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Big problem with my laptop!

gah
September 28th, 2009, 06:36 AM
I'm trying to install Ubuntu 9.04 to my laptop. However, the CD drive doesn't work, so I put in a new one. It still didn't boot to the disk. The only solution I could think of was try to install it with a 98 MS-Dos diskette. The CD drive does recognize the disk and everything on it, but I don't know what to do from that point. Is it possible to install Ubuntu from dos? If so, how would I do that?

PmDematagoda
September 28th, 2009, 06:42 AM
First off, what are the specifications of your laptop?

And what problem did you get when trying to boot the Ubuntu live CD?

gah
September 28th, 2009, 07:11 AM
It's a toshiba satellite m45 edition. Other than that I don't know much about the laptop. The problem is that it didn't recognize it when booting to the cd rom. It said there wasn't any media in the drive.

PaulReaver
September 28th, 2009, 07:15 AM
two questions

1. Does your laptop boot from usb?
2. Do you have a desktop pc?

make a usb-startup-disk on the pc

and use the usb-startup-disk to install ubuntu on the laptop

gah
September 28th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I have a desktop pc, however the laptop does not have the ability to boot to a usb drive. I've tried everything I can think of. I tried the netboot install, but it doesn't have that ability, I tried making a linux bootable floppy, but all of my floppy's have 1.38mb and can't fit anything I find. This dos install is my only option.

jerrrys
September 28th, 2009, 07:35 PM
you could do the alternate install cd (not as user friendly as the live cd) or you could try running 8.04 live cd (has a habit of just working)...

jward3010
September 28th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Do other bootable disks work with your CD drive? Have you checked out the BIOS options?

gah
September 28th, 2009, 09:12 PM
No other bootable cd's work. The bios option are extremely limited. The most I can do is switch what boots first. Nothing will boot except the USB floppy drive. Not sure why that works. I even tried removing the onboard cd drive and using a usb cd drive. Still didn't recognize any bootable media. I tried a few windows installation cd's, and a disk called UBCD (ultimate boot cd) Nothing booted.