PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] workspace switches on touchpad movement

triplesick
September 28th, 2009, 04:13 AM
hi.

sometimes my workspace switches when i move my (touchpad) mouse. i don't want it to, but i can't find the option to disable this. i'm not even sure what makes it happen.

thanks.

triplesick
September 28th, 2009, 11:48 PM
lil help guys? haha, i'm wondering if everyone has this problem and no one understands it.

undecim
September 29th, 2009, 06:14 AM
The reason it does this is because you are touching the scroll wheel (the righthand side of the touchpad that acts as the little wheel that would be on top of a normal mouse)

Honestly, I'm not sure where to disable this. If you don't use the feature, you could disable the mouse wheel.

A little point in the right direction though: Workspaces (and thus workspace switching) are managed by the window manager (either compiz, if you have special effects enabled, or metacity if you don't)

I'm looking through the settings in compizconfig-settings-manager now, but I don't see anything.

EDIT: Hmm... with the desktop cube enabled on compiz, this doesn't happen to me... Also, according to xev, the UP and DOWN motions of the mouse wheel are "Button 4" and "Button 5" respectively

undecim
September 29th, 2009, 06:19 AM
This is perhaps disabled in Karmic (the testing version of Ubuntu which I'm using)

If you have desktop effects enabled, try installing compizconfig-settings-manager, going to the "Desktop Wall" section and opening the "Bindings" tab. Disable any key bindings you see for "Button 4" or "Button 5"

undecim
September 29th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Just found this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=905742

triplesick
September 29th, 2009, 04:34 PM
AWESOME!! undecim is HERO!! thanks so much!

triplesick
September 29th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Confirmed that the scroll wheel was the problem; confirmed that removing the button 4 and button 5 solved it. :) :)